In autumn 2009 the Board adopted the concept of mission, vision, and objectives for the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU).
SLU is a world-class university in the fields of life and environmental sciences
SLU develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources.
This is achieved by research, education and environmental monitoring and assessment, in collaboration with the surrounding community.
Pan-University objectives for SLU are
· for operations to be of the highest international class, characterized by strong links between education and research,
· for research, education, and environmental monitoring to be pursued in collaboration with selected higher-education institutions, sectors, and the wider society,
· for research findings to be known and used in society,
· to have a strong international dimension, e.g. by strategic collaboration with universities and research institutes abroad,
· to strengthen Sweden’s position as a knowledge nation and contribute to the development of the sustainable use and management of natural resources,
· for students and employees to have a work environment and working conditions that are among the most attractive,
· for the organization to function well, with distinct leadership and efficient use of resources,
· for gender equality and diversity perspectives to have a strong position throughout operations,
· for employees and students to be our best ambassadors.
Objectives for Research
SLU objectives for research are
· to focus on areas of strategic importance to the SLU concept of operations and educational mission,
· to pursue research of the highest quality and international excellence in these strategic areas,
· to provide environments that promote and stimulate pioneering excellence in research.
Objectives for Education
SLU objectives for education at the basic and advanced levels are that
· its education meet rigorous demands in terms of science and teaching as well as the needs of society regarding competence in the fields in which SLU is active,
· its courses and programs are attractive and competitive in both national and international perspectives,
· the volume of education is greater than in 2009 with a large proportion of students at the advanced level.
SLU objectives for research-level education are that
· Ph.D.s educated at SLU will be in demand by dint of their advanced expertise, both nationally and internationally,
· the scope of the education be dimensioned to provide both research and the job market with research-trained associates,
· that a major share of the education be pursued within the framework of national graduate schools in collaboration with the business community, the public sector, and international partners.
SLU’s objective for continuing, further, and contract education to
· provide attractive programmes in lifelong learning through academic-level training in SLU sectors.
Objectives for ongoing environmental analysis
SLU objectives for ongoing environmental analysis are that
· there be a strong link between ongoing environmental analysis and other operational sectors at SLU
· operations take the lead in Europe and actively contribute to international development of science-based environmental analysis,
· analyses be provided for decision-making purposes that allow resource use and environmental consequences to be weighed against each other.
Objectives for the university administration
SLU objectives for the support of core operations are that
· core operations be supplied with good levels of service
· costs be minimized for support activities within agreed-upon service levels,
· SLU’s exercise of authority will be quality assured and efficient.