Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

Planning your stay

There are alot of things to take into consideration if you're planning to study abroad. On this and the following pages you can find useful information about things you need to take care of before you leave, but also things that you might have to take care of upon arrival.


You need a valid passport for entry into Sweden. All overseas students will need a student visa. Citizens of the EU countries and Iceland and Norway need only an ID card provided that the citizenship is stated on the card. For further information contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your country. Please consult for addresses and office hours of Swedish embassies and consulates.

Residence Permit, Visa

If you are going to stay in Sweden for more than 3 months you need a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd). Citizens of EU countries and Switzerland apply for their residence permit after their arrival in Sweden at the local Office of the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket, Bolandsgatan 10, phone (018) 60 69 00 (Mon-Tues 13-15; Wed-Thurs 09-10.30). Office hours Mon-Wed 13-16, Thurs 13-16.30, Fridays closed). Scandinavian citizens do not need a residence permit.

You can make an application on paper, but there is also an electronic application system for residence permits/student visas available at You can use the electronic application system to fill in and send applications, enclose passport copies and other attachments and (if you are a non-EU/EEA or non-Swiss citizen) to pay the application fee on-line. Please note that there is a separate electronic application form for doctoral students.

In order to get a residence permit you must prove that you have a health insurance policy, either the insurance policy provided by SLU or from your own country. You must also prove that you have been admitted as an exchange or visiting student and fill out a form confirming that you have enough money for your study period in Sweden (see below).

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU, Switzerland or Scandinavia you must have your residence permit (also if received electronically) stamped into your passport before entering Sweden. You apply for a residence permit at a Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Otherwise you may not be allowed entry into the country. In some non-European countries Sweden may be represented by the Embassy or Consulate of another EU country (for instance, Finland or the Netherlands).

Work permit

Exchange students who are citizens of EU and Scandinavian countries are free to take a job at any time while in Sweden without a work permit. All foreign nationals who are registered students at a Swedish University are also allowed to work, as long as they have a valid residence permit. For further information:


On entry into Sweden, there are generally no vaccination requirements. Temporary regulations may sometimes apply to travellers from specific countries. If you are uncertain, please inquire at the Swedish Embassy or Consulate if you need a vaccination or not.

Civic Registration

Exchange students who are temporary residents in Sweden, i.e. less than 12 months, are normally not entitled to register with Skattemyndigheten/Tax Office and can not get the personummer/personal identity number. This is used as an identification code not only in population registration but also in other administrative areas:: taxation, national insurance, drivers license. It is also used in company accounting procedures and the re registers of insurance companies and banks. If you will be staying more than 12 months you have to get a personnummer andmust register with the Skattemyndigheten upon arrival. Questions regarding civil registration matters or taxation: Skattemyndigheten i Uppsala.

Page updated: 2010-05-18.

SLU, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, has its main locations in Alnarp, Uppsala and Umeå.
Tel: +46 18-67 10 00 • Fax: +46 18-67 20 00  • VAT nr: SE202100281701  • About the website