29 Aug - 6 Nov 2011, 100%, Daytime
Here you will find the reading list for the course and some useful links
The course evaluation is now closed,
click here to see the results.
The Process of Research: Theories and Methods
as course independent of study programme.The course was offered for the last time 2013.
2010-10-11 (from AS 2011)
Rural Development/Environmental Science
Advanced study in the main field:
Second cycle, has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements (A1N)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail
The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Equivalent to 120 credits within social or natural sciences, of which 90 credits within a particular major. Knowledge equivalent to English B (Swedish educational system), English 550 or higher TOEFL or English 5,5 or higher IELTS.
The aim of this course is to equip students with a scientific basis for understanding the social sciences research process in order to undertake studies on rural development and environmental communication issues.
Upon completion of the course, the student shall be able to:
• describe for the main scientific schools of social sciences, and how they are interconnected to questions of methodology and distinct research methods
• formulate research problems and objectives, that are relevant in the study of rural development and environmental communication
• discuss relevant methodological issues in relation to the research problem and decide which research methods that ought to be used, in order to answer the questions that the problem poses
• express in written or oral form basic knowledge and skills in methodological issues and distinct research methods, both qualitative and quantitative. These skills shall cover the following areas: ethnographic methods, such as participant observation and different forms of interviews, action research, the construction of questionnaires, the use of basic statistical methods, and analysis of sources and discourses
• demonstrate in written and oral form knowledge in the use of different research methods so as to establish relevant empirical material in relation to the analysis of specific research questions
• distinguish between distinct levels and forms of scientific analysis and be able to account for their epistemological preconditions
• delineate a relevant empirical field and material in relation to a given research problem
• evaluate and reflect on strengths and weaknesses of different research methods and the researcher’s own position within the research
• evaluate and discuss the role of science and ethical dilemmas in relation to the study of rural contexts and environmental communication.
The course focuses on the links between theory and methods. Furthermore, course offers students a general introduction into the main theoretical framework of social sciences and qualitative and quantitative research methods. During the course students will continuously work on their individual research projects; formulating a research problem and selecting adequate methods, in relation to the problem.
The methods for data collection and analysis, cover basic knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methods, including ethnographic methods, action research, the construction of questionnaires, the use of basic statistical methods, critical analysis of discourses and interview techniques. The course comprises lectures, individual and group assignments, that are critiqued during seminars.
Requirements for examination:
For successful completion of the course the student must participate in compulsory sessions and give in a portfolio that comprise approved exam and assignments.
General regulations and guidelines for assessment and grading is established in the regulations for education in first and second cycle at SLU.
Department of Urban and Rural Development
SLU, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, has its main locations in Alnarp, Skara, Umeå and Uppsala.Tel: +46 18-67 10 00 • Fax: +46 18-67 20 00 • VAT nr: SE202100281701 • firstname.lastname@example.org