- Setting the strategy to detect and react against invasive forest pathogens in Sweden. A project funded by Formas.
- The effect of a changing climate on the geographical distribution of fungal pathogens. Funded by Future Forests.
- Fungal communities of Scots pine needles – using 454-sequencing to assess the effect of salt and wind exposure and climatic shifts in Europe. The projects are funded by the EU-project BACCARA and Future Forests.
Other research collaborations
- Preventive and restorative measures to reduce damage on forests -Phytophthora diseases in focus. A Nordic-baltic collaborative project funded by the Nordic Forest Research Co-operation Committee (SNS)
- Using patterns of annual tree ring growth to reconstruct the spatial and temporal dynamics of historic epidemics of G. abietina. The project is managed by Elna Stenström and funded from Carl Tryggers Stiftelse för Vetenskaplig Forskning.
- Communities of foliar pathogenic and endophytic fungi in relation to tree species diversities. PhD-project by Diem Nguyen funded by the EU-project FunDivEurope.
- Monitoring of endophytic and pathogenic fungi in Scots pine needles. PhD-project by Hanna Millberg funded by BACCARA and Future Forests.
In november 2009 I defended my PhD thesis with the title 'Litter decomposing fungi in boreal forests -their function in carbon and nitrogen circulation'. In my PhD project I studied the role of litter degrading fungi in carbon and nitrogen circulation in boreal forests. In particular, I focused on the implications of fungal translocation on carbon and nitrogen circulation and the effect nitrogen has on fungal assimilation patterns of carbon.
Publications in peer reviewed journals
Felton A, Boberg J, Björkman C, Widenfalk O. 2013. Identifying and managing the ecological risks of using introduced tree species in Sweden’s production forestry. Forest ecology and management 307:165-177
Oliva J, Boberg J, Stenlid J, 2013. First report of Sphaeropsis sapinea on Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) and Austrian pine (P. nigra) in Sweden. New Disease Reports 27:23
Stenlid J, Oliva J, Boberg J, Hopkins A. 2011. Emerging diseases in European forest ecosystems and responses in society. Forests 2(2):486-504. On line
Boberg JB, Näsholm T, Finlay RD, Stenlid J, Lindahl B. 2011. N availability affects saprotrophic basidiomycetes degrading pine needles in a long term laboratory study. Fungal Ecology 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.funeco.2011.03.004 On line
Boberg JB, Ihrmark K, Lindahl BD. 2011. Decomposing capacity of fungi commonly detected in Pinus sylvestris needle litter. Fungal Ecology 4:110-114. On line
Boberg JB, Finlay RD, Stenlid J, Lindahl B. 2010. Fungal C translocation restricts N-mineralization in heterogeneous environments. Functional Ecology 24:454-459.On line
Boberg JB, Finlay RD, Stenlid J, Näsholm T, Lindahl BD. 2008. Glucose and ammonium additions affect needle decomposition and carbon allocation by litter degrading fungus Mycena epipterygia. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40:995-999. On line
Lindahl BD, Ihrmark K, Boberg J, Trumbore SE, Högberg P, Stenlid J, Finlay R. 2007. Spatial separation of litter decomposition and mycorrhizal nitrogen uptake in a boreal forest. New Phytologist 173: 611–620. On line
Oliva J, Boberg J, Hopkins A and Stenlid J. 2013. Concepts of Epidemiology of Forest Diseases. In: Paolo Gonthier (Ed) Infectious forest diseases. CABI International. UK
Lindahl, B. & Boberg, J., 2008. Distribution and function of litter basidiomycetes in coniferous forests. In: Lynne B, Frankland JC, Van West P. (Eds) Ecology of Saprotrophic Basidiomycetes. British Mycological Society Symposia Series. Chapter 10. Elsevier. UK. On line
Hopkins, A.J.M., Boberg, J.B., 2012. Risk assessment and establishment of a system to adress potential pathogens in Nordic and Baltic forestry as a result of climate change. SNS Research Project Report within the Selfoss declaration on sustainable forestry, www.nordicforestresearch.org/sns-research/research-projects/risk-assessment-and-establishment/
Boberg J. 2009. Litter Decomposing Fungi in Boreal Forests- Their Function in Carbon and Nitrogen Circulation. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae, Doctoral Thesis No 2009:75, Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences, SLU, Uppsala. On line.
Boberg J. 2002. Determination of Gross N mineralisation and immobilisation using the 15N-isotope dilution technique on soils under organic cultivation. MSc Thesis. Department of Soil Science, SLU
Boberg J. & Dyberg Å. 2002. The Effect of Fertiliser Regimes on Mycorrhizal Colonisation of Mangosteen Growing on an Acid Sulphate Soil in Southern Vietnam. MSc Thesis. Minor field study. Department of Soil Sciences & Department of Forest Mycology and Pathology, SLU
This page was updated by Johanna Boberg, 5 of Aug 2013