Jag heter Sophie Atkinson och är forskare vid avdelningen för husdjurshygien, Inst för husdjurens miljö och hälsa i Skara. Eftersom jag är engelskspråkig så fortsätter här min hemsida på engelska.
I am now in the process of completing a doctoral degree with regard to improving animal welfare during preslaughter handling and at killing in farm animal species. Some of my work areas have included:
- Lecturing in the science of animal behaviour and its importance to animal handling techniques and design of livestock handling facilities
- Assessments of EU animal transport legislation
- Experimental work with testing air quality and animal stress in cattle transported from farm to slaughter in Sweden
Training programs: Tutor at the SANCO (Better training For Safer Food) training workshop on animal welfare concerning handling and stunning in slaughter houses and in disease control situations. European Commission 2007 (Croatia) and 2010 (Sweden)
Participant in "Low Stress Stock Handling School" 2005 – NSW Australia and 2010 QLD, Australia. Organiser and participant in "Low stress stock handling School, November 2010, Malmö, Sweden. http://www.atl.nu/atl-play/angavallen-testar-lss-metoden.
The following workshops have been conducted in livestock handling: Norvik, Norrland September 2011, organised by LRF, Dalarna (Dala Husby) and Gävleborg (Hudiksvall), November 2011, LRF , Jämtland (Lit) – March 2012, LRF, Södermans län (Eskilstuna)- May 2012, LRF and Säkert bondförnuft (pdf på svenska), Nynäs gård (Stockholm) - June 2012, Länsstyrelsen (pdf på svenska), Götala nöttköttscentrum-(Västergötland) – June 2012, länsstyrelsen (pdf på svenska), Blekna Husby (Blekinge) – LRF and Länsstyrelsen , Tranås, Östergötland, November 2012.
Up and coming training programs: Norrköping, Östergötland – May 20th 2013 (pdf på svenska).
JTI project: In this project 10 farmers shall be educated in low stress stock handling techniques with the aim of improving animal welfare and human animal safety. The farmers are observed in a daily task and registrations collected on events that cause safety concerns for both the animals and handlers. The farmers are then given a practical training workshop in animal behaviour and handling techniques. Interviews are conducted as to what tasks or events the farmers sees as particularly dangerous when handling cattle. One year after the training, the farmers will be re interviewed and observed during another handling task, to compare the activity to pre-training. The aim of the project is to see if the relationship between animals and their handlers and on-farm safety aspects, can be improved with a training program.
En ny metod för att öka säkerheten när man hanterar tjurar och lösgående kor, ska testas på ett tiotal gårdar av JTI - Institutet för jordbruks- och miljöteknik. I Sverige sker i genomsnitt en dödsolycka varje år där nötkreatur är inblandad - under 2011 omkom minst tre personer.
"Nitrogen stunning of pigs": In collaboration with IRTA (Spain), an experiment was conducted under commercial conditions in a Swedish slaughter plant, where 1000 pigs were group stunned in a Butina system, with 80% Nitrogen and 20 Carbon dioxide gas. The aim with the experiment was to test if the aversion could be lowered during the stunning process compared to the conventionally used 80% carbon dioxide in air. The results of this study will be available by the end of the year, and a publication ready by 2015.
I come from southern Australia, where I studied agriculture science at Melbourne university. I worked in Australia in the area of farm animal health, welfare, and disease eradication. In 2000 I completed a masters exam at SLU in Skara in the area of animal biology with specialisation in farm animal transport and the effect on animal welfare and meat quality.
Publikationer i urval
- Atkinson, S., Velarde, A., Algers, B., 2013. Assessment of stun quality at commercial slaughter in cattle shot with captive bolt. Animal Welfare, 22: 473-481.
- Atkinson, S., Velarde, A., Llonch, P., and Algers, B., 2012. Assessing pig welfare at stunning in Swedish commercial abattoirs using CO2 group-stun methods. Animal Welfare 2012, 21: 487-495.
- Atkinson, S, Tolo E, Algers, B and Sandstrom, V (2011). Cattle welfare assessments at stunning in old versus new abattoirs. Recent Advances in the Welfare of Livestock at Slaughter. Centenary International Symposium. Portsmouth, UK.
- Atkinson, S. Low stress stock handling. Norvik Omsorg och säkerhet i djurhantering Torsdag 1/9 på Nordvikskolan Atkinson, S and Algers B. (2010) Cattle welfare, stun quality and efficiency in 3 abattoirs using different designs of stun box loading, stun box restraint, and weapons. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara
- Atkinson, S. (2009) Low stress stock handling, A strategy for safer animal handling. LAMK:s Arbetsmiljökonferens, " Arbetsmiljökonferensen, 9 march 2011, Hamra Gård, Tumba
- Atkinson, S. (2009) Assessing cattle welfare at stunning. Proceedings of the 43rd Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology, Cairns, Queensland, Australia.
- Atkinson, S. (2007). Presentation on "Development of a Stun Quality Audit for pigs and cattle at Slaughter". 5 day SANCO Workshop on Animal Welfare During Slaughter and Killing (European Commission Initiative on Better Training for Safer Food), Zagreb, Croatia
- Atkinson, S. and Algers, B. (2007). Stun Quality in Relation to Cattle Size, Gun Type and Brain hemorrhages. Proceedings of the XIII International Congress in Animal Hygiene (ISAH), Tartu, Estonia
- Atkinson, S. and Algers. B (2007). The development of a stun quality audit for cattle and pigs at slaughter. Proceedings of the XIII International Congress in Animal Hygiene (ISAH), Tartu, Estonia
- Atkinson, S. (2005). The importance of animal handling technique and animal handling facility design for the welfare of slaughter animals. In: The proceedings of The Nordic Association of Agricultural Sciences (NJF) Transport and handling of animals, a Nordic challenge
- Atkinson, S. (2005). Welfare of farm animals during transport and slaughter. In: Proceedings of 56th meeting of the EEAP Conference, Uppsala, Sweden
- Atkinson, S. (2003). Killing methods for end of lay hens and the animal welfare implications, Nordic Poultry Conference, Stockholm Sweden
- Atkinson, S. (2003). Physical factors that reduce welfare in transported animals. In: Proceedings of the Nordic Veterinary Congress, Helsinki, Finland
- Atkinson, S. and Algers, B. (2005) A measurement of welfare during different handling and killing methods of spent hens in Sweden, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara
- Atkinson. S. and Algers, B. (2004) A study of symptoms of stun quality in cattle stunned with 1) captive bolt or 2) pneumatic operated stun guns, and the subsequent brain damages found from macroscopic examinations. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara
- Atkinson, S. and Algers, B. (2004). An investigation of captive bolt stunning in cattle with regard to display of certain consciousness symptoms. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara
- Atkinson, S. (2003). An investigation of CO2 group stunning in pigs with regard to CO2 concentration, CO2 exposure time, stun group size, stun to stick interval, and stun effect. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara
- Atkinson, S. (2003) Killing and handling methods of spent hens in Sweden and other countries, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara 2003
- Atkinson, S. (2000) Farm animal welfare, transport and meat quality. Masters Thesis. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Skara 2003
List of publications and reports by Sophie Atkinson published by SLU you can find on our page of publications. Would you like to order, please contact: Gunilla Jacobsson.