What questions should be answered? What data are available? Is the area of concern a small scale (part of a field), national or something in-between? Different models fit different applications and thus we are working with many different models.
- Calculation of Sweden's emissions of nitrogen and phosphorus from different sources to our surrounding seas. Used for reporting to international commissions as OSPAR and HELCOM under the SMED consortium and on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency;
- Detailed follow up of the environmental objective no eutrophication on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency. Latest analysis concerned the change of the load of nutrients from land to sea 1995-2005;
- Calculation of nitrogen leacing from Sweden's arable land and evaluation of the causes of change and the impact of future measures in agriculture;
- Assignments from Swedish Board of Agriculture to follow up the impact of the CAP (Common Agriculture Policy) and implemented programs of measure in agriculture for reducing nitrogen leaching;
- Source apportionment of nitrogen and phosphorus loads in different river basins on behalf of county administrations, water conservation boards and municipalities with the aim of providing a basis for cost-effective measures by scenario calculations;
- Calculation of the effects of climate impact on leaching, retention and transport of nutrients from land to sea. Case studies have been carried out in selected river basins;
Knowledge transfer to Russia and the Baltic States within the framework of the SIDA project HarmoBalt (Harmonization of methods for monitoring, modeling and assessment of nutrient loading from land to the Baltic Sea and effects of counter measures).