To contribute to the development of high-level collaborative and international research by imparting information competence and scientific communication skills and knowledge.
- Qualities of a good research article, critical and analytical reading
- search strategies and search process
- international and institutional online databases (e-journals, e-books), awareness of access conditions, Document Delivery Services, etc.
- other resources (print and non-print)
- social media, web tools for communication and collaboration
- professional citing and quotation and reference management
- scientific communication, open access, strategic publishing including bibliometrics
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, the participants should have acquired life-long information skills and knowledge. Specifically they will be able to:
- plan and perform literature searches
- critically evaluate literature search results
- Interpret the conditions and patterns of scientific publishing including the use and limitations of bibliometric tools and methods, copyright and intellectual property rights.
- Apply web tools for communication and collaboration in academic work
- use basic functions in a reference management software to create a collection of references relevant to participants’ research topics
Mandatory course literature is specified in a separate literature list.
Please fill out the form at the application site for the course starting 18 August
- LibrarianJan Alowo, Makerere University
- Senior Librarian Britt Marie Bergquist, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
- Teamleader Research Support/Coordinator Charlotte Håkansson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
- Educational Development Officer Nicolette Karst, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
- Librarian Caroline Kobusingye, Makerere University
- Professor Maria Musoke, Makerere University
- Academic and Digitalisation Librarian Andrew Mwesigwa, Makerere University
- Librarian Agnes Namaganda, Makerere University
- Librarian Liz State, Makerere University
- Librarian Camilla Söderquist, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
- Librarian Linda Åström Wennbom, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
Duration: 5 days
Teaching and learning activities
The course will include face-to-face lectures, individual and group work, and assignments.
Attendance is mandatory.
Evaluation and Examination
- Pre-course identification of gaps so that we tailor the course to participants’ needs. This will capture the global perspectives as the participants will provide input to the preparation of the course content
- Online continuous evaluation and assessment to be conducted in the last 15 minutes of each day by each participant. The course will also be examined through oral presentations and written assignments.
Grades: Pass or fail
Certificate will be issued
Project manager: Associate professor Lotta Hansson