Are you interested in postgraduate education?

Last changed: 22 May 2023

If you have an interest in research studies at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science of SLU, please consider the following.

1. The number of places available for post-graduate students is limited and depends on current research opportunities. Provided that a research project suitable for thesis work is available, the responsible department suggests a PhD candidate to the Faculty which takes the final decision regarding admission. A candidate should not count on receiving a scholarship or being employed as a teacher or assistant during the education.

2. Most postgraduate education is funded externally and project-based. This means that the Faculty does not admit students on a regular basis, but only after advertisement and application for a position, or after personal contact and agreement, considering the qualifications and research interests of the applicant, availability of suitable supervisors and financial resources. For admission, a basic prerequisite is to have funding for the whole study period, i.e. four years for a PhD, or at least good possibilities to achieve this. After admission, the department is responsible for financing the whole education.

3. A candidate who has completed an undergraduate programme of at least four years or has otherwise acquired largely equivalent knowledge shall have general eligibility for admission. Furthermore, each discipline and subject has its own requirements concerning special courses or knowledge necessary for eligibility.

4. PhD education normally includes a minimum of four years of study after the undergraduate or Master's degree, and consists of approximately one year of courses and seminars and three years of independent research work leading to a thesis.

5. If you are a non-EU/EEA resident you must hold a residence permit (student visa) before entering Sweden (see the Swedish Immigration Board at Applications for residence permits must be sent to the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in your home country.

After considering the information above, you may want to apply for a position or contact some of our senior researchers directly.