The molecular laboratory in the Ecology building
In the Ecology building the Department of Ecology and the Department of Crop production Ecology share a molecular laboratory. The laboratory caters primarily to staff at SLU, but external users are also welcome.
In order to use the lab, a bench fee is charged. The fee covers an introduction to the lab routines and equipment, access to all equipment, maintenance of equipment, basic service and advice from technical staff as well as basic consumables. Project specific consumables (such as DNA extraction kits and PCR chemicals) are paid by the users
The machine park consists of:
- 2 QIAcubes, extraction robots from QIAGEN with room for 12 samples per run
- 2 CFXconnect Real-Time PCR machines from Bio-Rad
- 1 C1000 Thermal Cycler, PCR machine from Bio-Rad
- 1 MiniOpticon, 48 well PCR machine from Bio-Rad
- 1 MultiNA, Capillary gel-electrophorese from Shimadzu
- 1 plate pourer, for up to 400 plates
- 1 Autoclave, 160 L Laboklav
- Sorvall SUPER T 21 Refrigerated Superspeed Benchtop Centrifuge, 4-20°C. Three different rotors with different capacity, for 50 mL tubes or 250 mL tubes.
- 1 NanoDrop
- MilliQ-water machine
- GelDoc system for analyzing GelRed stained agarose gels
- Heating blocks, small centrifuges, a water bath, pH-meter and equipment for agarose gel runs. There are also a few incubators and warmth cabins of different sizes.
For enquiries to use the lab facilities and for information about bench fees contact lab manager Kristin Thored.