Horse rearing in rural businesses
Additional course evaluations for BI1288
Academic year 2021/2022
2021-11-02 - 2022-01-16
Academic year 2020/2021
2020-11-02 - 2021-01-17
Academic year 2019/2020
2019-11-01 - 2020-01-19
Academic year 2018/2019
2018-11-06 - 2019-01-20
Academic year 2017/2018
2017-10-31 - 2018-01-14
BI1288 Horse rearing in rural businesses, 7.5 CreditsHästhållning i landsbygdsföretag
SubjectsBiology Agricultural Science
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements(G1N)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeGeneral entry requirements for higher education including the equivalent of Biology 1.
ObjectivesThe course provides knowledge, so that the student will be able to independently plan feeding and activities involving horses on the basis of the resources that are provided in a rural business.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- calculate diets and account for feeding of horses from a biological and economical perspective
- plan an enterprise within the horse sector, on the basis of different conditions for horse farming, and with regard to sustainable development
- plan and design a horse establishment considering the local environment and outdoor stay in interaction with the landscape, as well as the development of the rural area
ContentThe course uses different forms of teaching adjusted to distance learning, with three full days of lectures in Alnarp. There are lectures, seminars, written assignments and project work, as well as cooperation with the horse sector through business contacts and study visits. The course is provided as a half-time distance learning course.
The course deals with animal- and nutrition physiology, specialising in the horse, knowledge of feeds and feed control, nutrient requirements of the horse, as well as determination of diets for different categories of horses. The course also deals with requirements of the horse regarding indoor environment and upkeep, planning of horse establishments, and creation and production of horses and horse-related goods and services as a farm enterprise.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved written submission assignments, project work and written examination. Participation in study visits.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Department of Biosystems and Technology
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom landskap och trädgård (PN - LT)
Biology field: Övriga biologikurser
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: Yes Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 19027 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Biology Agricultural ScienceCourse code: BI1288 Application code: SLU-20138 Location: Alnarp Distance course: Yes Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Biosystems and Technology Pace: 50%