Animal Husbandry I
Information from the course leader
Välkomna till kursen Animalieproduktion I
Du läser denna kursen parallellt med kursen Djurhållningens teknologi. Kurserna är integrerade i varandra så därför har vi ett gemensamt schema.
De tre första veckorna läser du djurhållningen teknologi på heltid, därefter är det mer fokus på Animalieproduktion med inslag på lämpliga ställen med Djurhållningens teknologi. I vårt gemensamma schema som du hittar på denna sidan har vi markerat med olika färger för de olika kurserna.
OBS! Använd inte schema som ligger i TimeEdit - då det inte alltid är uppdaterat med ändringar. Vi använder oss av vårt egna gemensamma schema som ni hittar här.
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
Additional course evaluations for BI1313
Academic year 2023/2024
2023-08-28 - 2024-01-14
Academic year 2022/2023
2022-08-29 - 2023-01-15
Academic year 2020/2021
2020-08-31 - 2021-01-17
Academic year 2019/2020
2019-09-02 - 2020-01-19
Academic year 2018/2019
2018-09-03 - 2019-01-20
Syllabus and other information
BI1313 Animal Husbandry I, 15.0 CreditsAnimalieproduktion I
SubjectsAgricultural Science Biology
Education cycleBachelor’s level
|Pigs, poultry and general I||7.5||0202|
|Cattle, sheep, horses and general II||7.5||0203|
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirementsBachelor’s level (G1F)
Prior knowledgeThe equivalent of entrance requirements for acceptance onto the Diploma Programme in Agricultural and Rural Management, and the equivalent of at least 30 credits including at least
- 20 credits Agricultural Science
- 10 credits Biology
ObjectivesStudents will acquire knowledge of, and be able to independently describe, interpret and explain production, health and environmental aspects of the rearing of farm animals.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
-Explain and evaluate important areas of farm animal physiology, feed digestion, behaviour and applied breeding strategies,
-Describe important animal diseases and explain and plan according to important principles for preventive animal healthcare,
-Interpret analyses of feeds for farm animals and calculate and control feed allocation to different categories of animals,
-Calculate and motivate choice of key data for animal production,
-Explain and evaluate the scope and conditions for various types of animal production in different regions of Sweden and the world,
-Give examples of and debate environmental and ethical aspects in an animal enterprise.
ContentThe course is mainly based on lectures and reading of the literature. Students also have the opportunity to carry out exercises and study visits and participate in seminars. Compulsory parts of the course are study visits and theme days.
The course is divided into to parts, which are examined separately. Sub-course 1 (General I, Pigs, Poultry and reviewing task) comprises 10 credits and sub-course 2 (Cattle, Sheep, Horses and General II) comprises 10 credits.
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed examinations and written papers, and participation in compulsory parts of the course.
- If a student has failed an examination, the examiner has the right to issue supplementary assignments. This applies if it is possible and there are grounds to do so.
- The examiner can provide an adapted assessment to students entitled to study support for students with disabilities following a decision by the university. Examiners may also issue an adapted examination or provide an alternative way for the students to take the exam.
- If this syllabus is withdrawn, SLU may introduce transitional provisions for examining students admitted based on this syllabus and who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline for submission. Read more in the Education Planning and Administration Handbook.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to participate in teaching and/or supervision only applies for the course instance the student was admitted to and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, students are entitled to participate in components with compulsory attendance when the course is given again. Read more in the Education Planning and Administration Handbook.
Additional informationAs regards restricting the number of examination events, see the combined regulations for education at SLU.
Department of Biosystems and Technology
- Nötkött Författare: Jamiesson, A. & Hessle, A. Kommentar: (2020), ISBN : 9789151957302, (244 s)
- Mjölkkor Författare: Nilsson, M. Kommentar: (2017), 2 uppl. Stockholm: BMM Förlag. (232 s)
- Svineproduktion Författare: Eskildsen, M. & Vest Weber, A. Kommentar: (2018). 3:e uppl. Aarhus: Seges Forlag (304 s.) (danska) alternativ bok
- Eskildsen, M. & Vest Weber, A. (2016). Pig production 1:a uppl. Aarhus: Seges Forlag (engelska)
- Fjäderfä Författare: Ascard, K. och von Wachenfelt, E. Kommentar: (2020). Fjäderfä. Undervisningskompendium. Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet/Institutionen för biosystem och teknologi. (ca 150 s)
- Referenslitteratur [Referenslitteratur] (https://slunik.slu.se/kursfiler/BI1313/10183.2122/Litteraturlista_BI1313-2021.pdf)