Cryptogams and Nature Conservation
The course evaluation is not yet activatedThe course evaluation is open between 2022-03-16 and 2022-04-06
Additional course evaluations for BI1402
Academic year 2021/2022Cryptogams and Nature Conservation (BI1402-M1338) 2021-08-30 - 2022-03-23
BI1402 Cryptogams and Nature Conservation, 15.0 CreditsKryptogamer och naturvård
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, at least 60 credits from first-cycle courses as entry requirements(G2F)
Prior knowledge60 credits Biology including
- 7.5 credits in Botany and
- 7.5 credits in Ecology
ObjectivesHaving completed the course the student should be able to:
- describe and explain how cryptogams (fungi, lichens and bryophytes) are used in nature conservation and environmental monitoring;
- describe and explain how cryptogams are affected by agriculture and forestry as well as by various environmental changes as e.g. climate change;
- identify indicator species and red-listed cryptogam species;
- plan, perform and evaluate cryptogam inventories.
ContentAt lectures information is given about:
- unique features of cryptogams (lichens, bryophytes, fungi) in comparison to other organism groups;
- external factors affecting cryptogams and potential threats to them,
- cryptogams as indicators of areas with high nature values;
- cryptogams as tools in environmental monitoring;
- the importance of land use to the occurrence of species and habitats;
- methods of documenting the cryptogam flora and the occurrence of individual species within an area;
- management and restoration of cryptogam habitats;
- establishment of reserves and other protective measures.
Identification of mainly indicator species and red-listed species is practised at exercises. Species and vegetation types are studied during field work and excursions, which are compulsory. Advancement in selected parts of the course’s topic is in the form of a compulsory project work.
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed written or oral examination, approved oral and written presentation of projects as well as participation in compulsory parts of the course.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Forest Mycology and Plant Pathology
Betygskriterier Kryptogamer och naturvård 2021-22
Betyget på kursen grundas på att höstterminen är godkänd, resultatet från hemtentamen i mars 2022 samt redovisningen av projektarbetet. Ligger du precis under en betygsgräns på tentamen kommer det att vara möjligt att förbättra kursbetyget genom ett väl utfört projektarbete och redovisning. Däremot går det inte att få sänkt betyg. Dessutom är det obligatoriskt att delta i exkursionerna liksom att slutföra litteraturuppgiften och arbetet ”Sofias val”. På dessa moment ges bara betyget godkänd/icke godkänd.
Följande betygskriterier gäller på hemtentamen:
2: 0-49% korrekta svar 0-21, 5p
3: 50-72% korrekta svar 22-31, 5p
4: 73-84% korrekta svar 32-36, 5p
5: 85-100% korrekta svar 37-44p