Clinical Training and Nursing 2
Information from the course leader
Välkomna till den andra kursen i verksamhetsförlagd utbildning!
Additional course evaluations for DO0103
Academic year 2021/2022Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-20029) 2021-11-02 - 2022-01-16
Academic year 2021/2022Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-10072) 2021-08-30 - 2021-11-01
Academic year 2020/2021Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-20044) 2020-11-02 - 2021-01-17
Academic year 2020/2021Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-10097) 2020-08-31 - 2020-11-01
Academic year 2019/2020Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-10299) 2019-09-02 - 2019-10-31
Academic year 2018/2019Clinical Training and Nursing 2 (DO0103-10147) 2018-09-03 - 2018-11-05
DO0103 Clinical Training and Nursing 2, 15.0 CreditsSjukvårdslära och verksamhetsförlagd utbildning 2
Education cycleBachelor’s level
|Clinical training, period 1||7.00||1002|
|Clinical training, period 2||7.00||1003|
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, at least 60 credits from first-cycle courses as entry requirements(G2F)
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to 95 credits within Veterinary Nursing.
ObjectivesThe course intends to deepen the theoretical and practical skills of the student in the elements that are included in the work of a veterinary nurse in an animal hospital/clinic.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- perform and plan elements of a hygienic nature that will prevent infection and disease transmission,
- use and suggest appropriate techniques at the medication, handling and feeding of animals,
- assist in an independent and safe way at treatments,
- apply and explain appropriate techniques in anaesthesia and operating theatre routines,
- use and explain current technology within image diagnostics,
- explain, use and perform appropriate sampling techniques,
- perform for the business accepted laboratory analyses,
- use, have good knowledge of and explain established practice for documentation and medical records keeping.
ContentWorking methods, environments and medical issues are highlighted from a nursing perspective. This takes place via practical proficiency training on animal hospitals and clinics and through a prescribed individual presentation. The practical elements give the student possibility to apply, understand and be able to explain theoretical knowledge within veterinary medicine and veterinary nursing. The individual presentation gives the student possibility to theorize, immerse and plan for the practical parts that are included in the course. The individual presentation furthermore gives opportunities for reflection and understanding of documentation and planning for the recovery of the individual animal as well as the opportunity for personal development of the communicative and informative skills of the student.
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed individual presentation, compulsory parts and approved participation in compulsory clinical teaching.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationDiscontinued practice
A student may receive a fail grade and be stopped from participating in the practical training with living animals if there is a tangible risk that the student, through severe incompetence, could injure animals, other persons, themselves, or valuable property if they continued to participate in the practical training. An individual action plan will be prescribed for the student and served to them in writing. The plan will be established by the department responsible for the course after consultation with a study counselor and the student concerned. This plan, which is decided by the programme director of studies, should indicate which deficiencies in knowledge and skills the student has, which kind of support the student can receive from the department, and when a control can take place that the deficiencies have been resolved. The plan will also specify how this control will be carried out. Each student has the right to a maximum of two control occasions, but no more than one per year. The student may not take part in practical training with living animals until the programme director of studies has controlled and confirmed that the student has the knowledge and skills that are required.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Clinical Sciences
Lärandemål 1: Utföra moment av hygienisk karaktär som förhindrar smitta och smittspridning
Lärandemål 2: Använda lämplig teknik vid medicinering, djurhantering och utfodring av djur.
Lärandemål 3: Assistera vid behandlingar.
Lärandemål 4: Tillämpa lämplig teknik vid anestesi och operationssalsrutiner.
Lärandemål 5: Använda aktuell teknik inom bilddiagnostik.
Lärandemål 6: Använda lämplig provtagningsteknik och utföra enklare laboratorieanalyser.
Lärandemål 7: Använda vedertagna system för dokumentation och journalföring
För godkänd kurs krävs: Godkänd närvaro + inlämnad momentlista från kliniken och godkänd diskussionsuppgift på Canvas samt inlämnad utvärdering verksamhetsförlagd utbildningsplats.