Independent project in Biology, A2E
Independent Project for master´s degree is open for students at masters level, also others than Horticultural Science Programme at SLU, as long as you fulfil the prerequisities for the course. As a student you are supposed to find a relevant master´s thesis project and supervisor by yourself. The project can be done in collaboration with an external part. The main supervisor has to be from SLU. In addition to a literature survey, the project has to include an experimental part such a field, greenhouse or laboratory experiments or interviews. You are welcome to contact the course leader for discussion about your project.
Additional course evaluations for EX0856
Academic year 2021/2022Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-40054) 2022-03-24 - 2022-08-28
Academic year 2021/2022Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-30126) 2022-01-17 - 2022-06-05
Academic year 2021/2022Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-20059) 2021-11-02 - 2022-03-23
Academic year 2021/2022Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-10130) 2021-08-30 - 2022-01-16
Academic year 2020/2021Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-40065) 2021-03-24 - 2021-08-29
Academic year 2020/2021Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-30162) 2021-01-18 - 2021-06-06
Academic year 2020/2021Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-20090) 2020-11-02 - 2021-03-23
Academic year 2020/2021Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-10171) 2020-08-31 - 2021-01-17
Academic year 2019/2020Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-40058) 2020-03-25 - 2020-08-30
Academic year 2019/2020Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-30097) 2020-01-20 - 2020-06-07
Academic year 2019/2020Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-20056) 2019-11-01 - 2020-03-24
Academic year 2019/2020Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-10098) 2019-09-02 - 2020-01-19
Academic year 2018/2019Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-40028) 2019-03-26 - 2019-09-01
Academic year 2018/2019Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-30037) 2019-01-21 - 2019-06-09
Academic year 2018/2019Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-20029) 2018-11-06 - 2019-03-25
Academic year 2018/2019Independent project in Biology, A2E (EX0856-10046) 2018-09-03 - 2019-01-20
EX0856 Independent project in Biology, A2E, 30.0 CreditsIndependent project in Biology, A2E
Education cycleMaster’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldSecond cycle, includes independent project (degree project) for the degree of Master of Science (120 credits)(A2E)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to 30 credits at second-cycle level in the main field of study. A Pass grade for the independent project at first-cycle level, or a Bachelor’s degree. The student must have completed at least one course relevant to the subject of the independent project before starting the project. Knowledge of English equivalent to English 6.
ObjectivesThe aim of the course is for the student, based on previously acquired knowledge, to independently plan, carry out and present an academic study within a given time frame. Through the independent project, the student will develop their skills in the academic work process and deepen their subject knowledge considerably.
On completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- independently and creatively identify and formulate scientific questions;
- independently search, compile, evaluate and critically interpret relevant information and literature;
- independently plan and, using adequate methods, carry out a scientific study within given time frames;
- analyse and evaluate data and/or findings on a scientific basis;
- discuss contents and conclusions in a scientific work critically, and reflect on how the choice of question and method relates to the scientific and practical basis of the subject;
- reflect on social and ethical aspects, sustainability aspects within the subject as well as ethical aspects of research and development;
- present a scientific work in accordance with the prevailing practice of the discipline, adapted to the intended audience and according to the instructions given;
- write a summary in English of a scientific report according to the instructions given;
- write a popular science summary of a scientific work according to the instructions given;
- present a scientific work orally and critically review and discuss, as well as give constructive criticism of, another student’s project, including method, conclusions and the context of the work in a wider perspective;
- identify their own skill and knowledge development needs in the subject of the project.
ContentThe course involves carrying out an independent, academic project (degree project) under supervision. The project is to be carried out independently, using data collected by the student themselves, or equivalent data. The project should preferably be carried out individually, but the course coordinator can admit exceptions under certain circumstances. The set-up of the independent project should be documented in a work plan established in consultation with the supervisor before the project starts.
The project is to be presented orally and in writing, as seminars or an equivalent format, and according to the instructions given. The course also involves taking part in a public discussion of another student’s project in order to assess the ability to give constructive criticism.
Formats and requirements for examinationA Pass grade for the written report and the oral presentation, as well as a Pass grade for the critical review of another student’s project. If the work has been carried out in pairs, it must be made clear to the examiner what each individual has contributed; this applies to both the written report and the oral presentation. The work effort and the scope of the work should correspond to 30 credits for each student, and each student must fulfil all intended learning outcomes. - If the student has not received a Pass grade for a test, the examiner has the right to give a supplementary assignment, provided this is feasible and can be justified.
- If the student has been granted learning support due to a disability, the examiner has the right to offer an adapted test or let the student take the test in an alternative manner.
- If this course syllabus is changed, or if the course is discontinued, SLU shall decide on transition rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet completed the course.
- For the examination of an independent project (degree project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the submission date. For more information, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationOnce the student has received a Pass grade for the written report, this must be published in the SLU system for electronic publication (Epsilon), and checked for plagiarism. To be admitted to the course, the student must have an agreement with the supervising department concerning supervisor and the subject of the project.
Students are recommended to take a course corresponding to at least 5 credits in scientific methodology before starting their independent project. This requirement is fulfilled by students who follow the syllabus for SLU degree programmes. Students who have not completed an undergraduate programme at SLU are urged to take the web-based teaching components provided for undergraduate-level independent projects. A course in scientific methodology is any course or course component that contributes to the student fulfilling the qualification requirement of advanced method knowledge in the main field of study. The right to participate in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date the student has been admitted to and registered on.
The Board of Education has decided that a student at SLU should be given 20 hours of supervision for an independent project of 30 credits. The supervision can be individual and in groups.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Plant Breeding
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom landskap och trädgård (PN - LT)
Biology field: Övriga biologikurser
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: Yes The course is offered as a programme course: Horticultural Science Programme Plant Biology for Sustainable Production - Master´s programme Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 76108 SEK Cycle: Master’s level
Subject: BiologyCourse code: EX0856 Application code: SLU-20173 Location: Alnarp Distance course: No Language: English Responsible department: Department of Plant Breeding Pace: 100%