Animal Biology 1- biochemistry
Information from the course leader
Välkommen till HV0120 Djurens biologi 1 - Biokemi.
Då situationen med pandemin ser ut som den gör så kommer undervisningen på kursen att ges helt digitalt under VT-2021. Mer information om kursinnehållet kommer vid kursstarten.
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
Additional course evaluations for HV0120
Academic year 2019/2020Animal Biology 1- biochemistry (HV0120-40118) 2020-03-25 - 2020-06-07
Academic year 2018/2019Animal Biology 1- biochemistry (HV0120-40090) 2019-03-26 - 2019-06-09
Academic year 2017/2018Animal Biology 1- biochemistry (HV0120-40127) 2018-03-21 - 2018-06-03
Academic year 2016/2017Animal Biology 1- biochemistry (HV0120-40141) 2017-03-22 - 2017-06-04
HV0120 Animal Biology 1- biochemistry, 15.0 CreditsDjurens biologi 1 - biokemi
SubjectsBiology Animal science
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, entry requirements only from upper secondary school(G1N)
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to
• Biology 2
• Physics 1a or Physics 1b1+1b2
• Chemistry 2
• Mathematics 4
ObjectivesThe course intends to give basic knowledge,and laboratory training in chemistry , biochemistry and molecular cell biology that is needed for continued studies in animal and dairy science and biology.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- account for basic concepts and carry out calculations within stoichiometry, chemical equilibrium and basic thermodynamics
- account for structure and function of DNA RNA and the flow of genetic information,
- identify and account for the cell most important biomolecules regarding structure and function
- use and explain certain biochemical methods and account for experimental results
- account for the cell structure with its anabolic and catabolic processes
- account for metabolic interaction in different nutritional conditions,
- perform basic laboratory components with safety and precision.
ContentThe course intends to give basic chemical and biochemical concepts and processes such as various types of chemical binding, stoichiometry, acid/base equilibrium and thermodynamics, structure and function of the molecules of life and enzymatic catalysis and kinetics. The structure of the cell, the function of organelles, membrane and transport of different subjects through membrane. The metabolism and bioenergetics from a nutritional perspective of the cell and the body.
In the course, lectures, laboratory work, seminars and group exercises according to student-activating teaching are included. Compulsory components occur within e g exercises, seminar, group exercises and laboratory sessions.
Following general skills are trained in the course. Written and oral communication, formulate laboratory reports, analysis, problem-solving and critical thinking.
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed written and oral examination. Passed participation in compulsory course modules.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.