The biology of the horse
Additional course evaluations for HV0180
Academic year 2021/2022The biology of the horse (HV0180-10003) 2021-08-30 - 2021-09-29
Academic year 2021/2022The biology of the horse (HV0180-M1003) 2021-08-30 - 2021-09-29
Academic year 2020/2021The biology of the horse (HV0180-10080) 2020-08-31 - 2020-09-29
HV0180 The biology of the horse, 7.5 CreditsHästens biologi
SubjectsBiology Animal science
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, at least 60 credits from first-cycle courses as entry requirements(G2F)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to:
- 80 hp Animal Science or 80 hp Biology, of which at least 7,5 hp animal physiology, 5 hp breeding, and 7,5 hp nutrition
Exemption granted from the general entry requirement of Swedish
ObjectivesThe course gives the student basic knowledge about the biology, ethology, feeding, breeding and management of the healthy horse.
After the course, the student should be able to:
- describe the anatomy, physiology, reproduction biology and behaviour of the healthy horse
- describe and apply principles for breeding objectives and methods used within horse breeding
- give an overview of the horse’s common diseases, injuries and genetic defects
- describe the horse’s nutritional needs, feeding and digestion
- perform body condition scoring and visitation of the horse
- suggest measures for a sustainable horse keeping
ContentThe teaching comprises lectures, exercises, group discussions and projects. Managing organs and live animals may be included in the course. The course gives an introduction to Swedish horse industry and treats subject areas such as anatomy and physiology, ethology, breeding, reproduction, feeding, pasture management and horse keeping. Through the entire course, sustainability, health and welfare are key elements. The students are trained in critically reviewing and suggesting improvements in horse keeping systems.
Mandatory moments are included.
In the course the students practice management of horses and the following generic competences: scientific approach, scientific writing and oral presentation.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved examination and project and active participation in mandatory activities.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationStudents that have passed the physiology part of the course "Djurens biologi 3 - fysiologi" has the necessary knowledge of physiology. Students that have passed the course "Djurens nutrition" 7,5 hp, HV0129 or "Djurens utfodring" 7,5 hp, HV0130 has the necessary knowledge in nutrition. Students that have passed the course "Avel 1" 7,5 hp, HV0131 or "Avel 2" 7,5 hp, HV0132 has the necessary knowledge in breeding.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Animal Breeding and Genetics
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom veterinärmedicin och husdjur (PN - VH)
Biology field: Zoologi (djurbiologi)
Replaces: HV0079, HV0153 och delvis HV0105
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: Yes The course is offered as a programme course: Agriculture Programme - Animal Science Companion and Sports Animals - Bachelor´s programme Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 19027 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Biology Animal scienceCourse code: HV0180 Application code: SLU-10157 Location: Uppsala Distance course: No Language: English Responsible department: Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics Pace: 100%