Agriculture in practice - Animal husbandry 1
Additional course evaluations for LB0099
Academic year 2020/2021Agriculture in practice - Animal husbandry 1 (LB0099-50044) 2021-06-07 - 2021-08-29
Academic year 2019/2020Agriculture in practice - Animal husbandry 1 (LB0099-50076) 2020-06-08 - 2020-08-30
Academic year 2018/2019Agriculture in practice - Animal husbandry 1 (LB0099-50024) 2019-06-10 - 2019-09-01
LB0099 Agriculture in practice - Animal husbandry 1, 7.5 CreditsPraktik - Lantbrukets husdjur 1
SubjectsAnimal science Agricultural science
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, course specialisation cannot be classified(GXX)
Pass / Failed The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeGeneral entry requirements for higher education
ObjectivesThe aim of the course is to provide an understanding of the practical handling of farm animals. Through practical skills training and reflection, the course provides insight into the animal keeper’s working conditions and how management routines affect the animals’ production and well-being as well as the economy of the production.
After completing the course, the student should be able to:
- describe the practical handling of one of the farm animals,
- describe the working conditions within animal husbandry,
- explain the connection between management routines and animal production, well-being, economy and sustainability.
ContentDuring about 80 percent of the time, students participate in the daily routines in animal husbandry. To support during this period, the students are assigned a supervisor who instructs in the handling of the various elements. Students are also assigned an academic supervisor as a resource for questions and discussion. After the period of training practical skills, the students summarize their experiences and present these both in writing and orally.
In the course, the student practices animal handling and the following general skills: written and oral presentation.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved participation during the practice. Passed written and oral examination.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationDistribution of available internships takes place as far as possible according to the students’ wishes. General entry requirements means Swedish final school grades.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Animal Nutrition and Management
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom veterinärmedicin och husdjur (PN - VH)
Kursmål och betygskriterier kursen LB0099 Praktik lantbrukets husdjur 1
Efter genomgången kurs ska studenten kunna:
- beskriva det praktiska handhavandet av ett eller flera av lantbrukets husdjur
- diskutera arbetsvillkoren inom djurskötseln
- diskutera sambandet mellan skötselrutiner och djurens produktion, välbefinnande och ekonomi
Examinationsformer och fordringar för godkänd kurs:
Godkänt deltagande under praktiktiden, godkänd skriftlig och muntlig redovisning samt godkänt deltagande i obligatoriska moment.
The course is offered as an independent course: No The course is offered as a programme course: Agriculture Programme - Economics and Management Agriculture Programme - Economics and Management (270 hec) Acriculture Programme - Animal Science Agricultural Science Programme - Animal Science (270 hec) Agriculture Programme - Rural Development (270 hec) Agriculture Programme - Food (270 hec) Agriculture Programme - Soil/Plant (270hec) Ethology and Animal Welfare - Bachelor´s programme Companion and Sports Animals - Bachelor´s programme Veterinary Medicine Programme Veterinary Medicine programme Agriculture Programme - Soil/Plant Agriculture Programme - Food Animal Science and Sustainability (BSc) Ethology and Animal Welfare (BSc) Agricultural Business and Economics Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 19027 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Animal science Agricultural scienceCourse code: LB0099 Application code: SLU-50004 Location: Independent courses Distance course: No Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Animal Nutrition and Management Pace: 40%