Agricultural science for rural development
LB0122 Agricultural science for rural development, 15.0 CreditsLantbruksvetenskap för landsbygdsutvecklingsagronomer
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, entry requirements only from upper secondary school(G1N)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeGeneral entry requirements for higher education.
ObjectivesThe course intends to provide the students with knowledge and an understanding of the preconditions, functions of the agrarian sector, and its’ interaction with the rest of society.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe at a general level biological and ecological preconditions for plant cultivation, and how these influence the plant cultivation in different locations and how different measures try to bridge geographical limitations;
- Recognise some important cultivated plants, tasks, needs for machinery and their possible environmental impact within plant cultivation;
- Describe, at a general level, basic biological differences between different important production animals in agriculture that influences what they are used for and which requirements are set on feeding and maintenance and ethical aspects of animal husbandry;
- Describe, at a general level, important practices in the animal husbandry;
- Describe, at a general level, the Swedish food industry and international actors and food labels;
- At a general level know industrial processes and hygienic aspects in the food industry and the requirements that they set on agriculture;
- Account for economic thinking and business economic perspectives, with application to agricultural businesses, at a general level.
ContentAt lectures, seminars, project work and possible study visits, the economics of the agriculture is treated, resources, methods including technology for production of goods and services (domestic animals, plants, foodstuffs), and these products’ processing, with a focus on Swedish conditions.
Formats and requirements for examinationThe aim of the course is examined through written tests, oral presentations and active approved participation in compulsory components.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationCosts for travels and food that can arise under possible study visits are paid by the students.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Urban and Rural Development
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom naturresurser och jordbruk (PN - NJ)
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: No The course is offered as a programme course: Rural Development - Societal Change Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 38054 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Agricultural scienceCourse code: LB0122 Application code: SLU-30220 Location: Uppsala Distance course: No Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Urban and Rural Development Pace: 100%