Explorations into landscape architecture
After the course students should have a thorough understanding of landscape architecture both as an academic subject and as a professional field. This will be conducted by building up knowledge each week from different perspectives such as environmental psychology, cultural heritage, biodiversity, design, regional planning. This knowledge will be adapted at the same place, a nearby municipality with field visits. The students will work in groups adding new layers each week to gain a holistic understanding. Finally each student will do an in-depth study of the place of their own field of studies.
Additional course evaluations for LK0369
Academic year 2021/2022Explorations into landscape architecture (LK0369-10270) 2021-08-30 - 2021-11-01
Academic year 2021/2022Explorations into landscape architecture (LK0369-M1270) 2021-08-30 - 2021-11-01
Academic year 2020/2021Explorations into landscape architecture (LK0369-10075) 2020-08-31 - 2020-11-01
LK0369 Explorations into landscape architecture, 15.0 CreditsIntroduktion till landskapsarkitektur
Education cycleMaster’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldSecond cycle, only first-cycle courses as entry requirements(A1N)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to 120 credits, of which
specific entry requirements: 90 credits in one of the following subjects:
• landscape architecture
• landscape planning
• built environment
• spatial planning
• landscape science
• environmental science
English 6 or equivalent.
ObjectivesAfter completion of the course the students should be able to:
- have a thorough understanding of landscape architecture both as an academic subject and as a professional field
- be able to relate the field of landscape architecture to their previous field of study
- be able to make an individual study plan with a selection of courses suited to their present competence
ContentThe course treats the aims, methods and academics of landscape architecture in relation to adjacent fields that are introduced theoretically and followed up by projects. These projects are set as specific case studies in groups where the students over time will add knowledge and outcomes to a context in both place and space in different scales. Afterwards the students will work individually and deepen the case study based on their previous studies. Finally they are to choose direction for their personal master. Landscape architecture is explored through a combination of lectures, literature studies, workshops and excursions. Findings and insights are discussed in seminars.
Formats and requirements for examinationThe quality of compulsory assignments and reports submitted by students will be evaluated throughout the course. The students’ ability to make oral presentations and their ability to engage each other in critical and analytical discussions will also be evaluated in the project work and in seminars. Specifications of compulsory attendance and assignments are given at course start.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationThe course is aimed at students intending to study second-cycle courses in Landscape Architecture with first-cycle qualification in an adjacent field of study.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Landscape Architecture, Planning and Management
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom landskap och trädgård (PN - LT)
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: No The course is offered as a programme course: Landscape Architecture- Master´s Programme Cycle: Master’s level
Subject: Landscape ArchitectureCourse code: LK0369 Application code: SLU-10005 Location: Alnarp Distance course: No Language: English Responsible department: Department of Landscape Architecture, Planning and Management Pace: 100%