PNS0196 Land-use management & conservation in Brazil, a field based course, 6.0 Credits
Pass / Failed
The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Admitted to PhD studies
The objective of this course is to offer PhD students the possibility to gain first-hand experience in the ecology of tropical systems and to stimulate discussions on ecological theory, nature conservation, management and on the impacts of land-use changes due to agriculture, together with fellow Brazilian PhD students.
Preparatory work in Sweden in late September before the travel to Brazil.
Field tour and research project in Brazil: ~October 1st – October 15th 2020. Written report and presentation of the small research project at a final seminar in late October/early September.
The learning outcomes of this activity include:
1) To design and perform a small research project together with Brazilian and SLU PhD students, and thereby gaining experience of studying ecological questions in a system different from the one used in the thesis project.
2) To accumulate experiences and knowledge about the Atlantic Forest, and to gain a better understanding of its ecosystem dynamics and biodiversity;
3) To understand the challenges and peculiarities of nature conservation and restoration in the Atlantic forest through interactions with different stakeholders (conservation groups, universities, local communities);
4) To learn approaches for impact assessment of agriculture on natural systems, human-mediated regeneration practices and assessment of biodiversity;
5) To learn about Brazilian culture and nature, and to build a network of possible collaborators and institutions in Brazil.
Formats and requirements for examination
To actively take part in:
1) preparatory work and seminar before the field excursion,
2) discussions, design and performing the small research project in Brazil
3) writing a report of the field project
4) the project presentation at the final seminar in Uppsala
Course fee = 7000 SEK
Find more information at the Ecology research school’s web-page: https://www.slu.se/en/graduate-schools/ecology-basics-and-applications/
Apply by sending an email to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 15 2020
Department of Ecology