PVG0031 Laboratory Animal Science, 1.5 Credits
Pass / Failed
The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Basic biological courses ex. veterinary or MSc Animal Husband
After completion of the course the student should:
-Have good knowledge of the laws and regulations concerning the use of animals for research purposes.
- Have good knowledge of the necessary paperwork required for using animals for research.
- Have good knowledge of the ethical values concerning the the use of animals for research purposes.
- Have good knowledge of the procedure of planning an experiment and writing an ethical evaluation.
- Have knowledge of different parameters used for evaluating pain, stress and well-being in animals.
- Be able to define and describe the 3Rs (replacement, reducti
The course covers:
- Laws and regulations and how to apply for the permissions and the keeping of journals required by law.
- Ethics, ethical evaluation and how to write an ethical application.
- Experimental planning and alternative methods. Stress, pain, pain treatment and well-being.
This includes lectures, videos and practical exercises.
Formats and requirements for examination
Education in laboratory animal science is required according to European and Swedish regulations to be allowed to work with animals used for scientific purposes. Therefor this course is mandatory for those working with animals in research.
Department of Clinical Sciences