Forest Planning with PlanWise as Decision Support
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
Additional course evaluations for SG0226
Academic year 2021/2022
2022-01-17 - 2022-02-17
Academic year 2020/2021
2021-01-18 - 2021-02-17
Academic year 2019/2020
2020-01-20 - 2020-02-19
Academic year 2018/2019
2019-01-21 - 2019-02-20
Academic year 2018/2019
2019-01-21 - 2019-02-20
SG0226 Forest Planning with PlanWise as Decision Support, 7.5 CreditsSkoglig planering med PlanVis som beslutsstöd
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Prior knowledgeKnowledge at basic level equivalent to
- 90 credits forest sciences or
- 90 credits forest management
ObjectivesThe aim of the course is to provide the students with in-depth knowledge of the background and meaning of long-term forest planning, and to plan the long-term sustainability of the forest, using the forest decision-making system PlanVis.
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Apply basic concepts in forest planning.
- Explain what characterizes the forestry planning conditions of the individual forest owners, forest companies and society in Sweden and the need for analyzes and decision support.
- Use PlanVis to analyze harvesting opportunities and the long-term development of forest state for a forest holding.
- Interpret and explain the results of the analyzes.
- Describe PlanVis different parts as well as its possibilities and limitations.
- Briefly describe a selection of different decision support systems in forestry.
- Apply the basics of scientific writing and orally present the analyses from case studies.
ContentThe course covers how decision support systems are used for analysis in support of strategic decisions. The various components of the system are reviewed including different methods of data collection and how new data can be generated. During the course, the student will practice using the Planvis program and how the program is used to analyze harvesting opportunities and forest permits and, by means of the program, present the results of the analyzes in the form of tables, charts and maps and more. Based on a sustainability perspective and different conditions, such as ownership, forest ownership and forest conservation ambitions, different cases are studied. The results from the analysis of the cases then form the basis for a written report, based on scientific writing principles, which are also presented orally. Students will be given the opportunity to practice commenting and review other students’ case studies.
Exercises, oral presentations and written reports are compulsory.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved assignments and approved participation in compulsory examinations, approved examinations,
Approved written and oral presentation of project work, as well as approved opposition.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationThe pre-requisite can also be fulfilled in a way that provides equivalent knowledge.
In the final exercise, a property with a forestry plan is being analyzed. It is an advantage but no absolute requirement to have a forestry plan drawn up and be familiar with the property’s forest state.
SLU is environmentally certified according to ISO 14001. A large part of our courses
cover knowledge and skills that contribute positively to the environment. To further
strengthen this, we have specific environmental goals for the education. Students are
welcome to suggest actions regarding the course’s content and implementation that lead
to improvements for the environment. For more information, see webpage www.slu.se.
Department of Forest Resource Management
- Ljungbergskompendiet kap 2, 3.1-3.4, 4.1-4.4 and 5 [Ljungbergskompendiet kap 2, 3.1-3.4, 4.1-4.4 and 5] (https://slunik.slu.se/kursfiler/SG0226/30021.1920/PlanVis2020.pdf)1) Heuristic Optimisation In: Decision Support for Forest Management. Managing Forest Ecosystems Författare: Kangas A., Kurttila M., Hujala T., Eyvindson K., Kangas J. [ Heuristic Optimisation In: Decision Support for Forest Management. Managing Forest Ecosystems] (https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23522-6_7#citeas)1) Ljungbergskompendiet - English [Ljungbergskompendiet - English] (https://slunik.slu.se/kursfiler/SG0226/30021.1920/Ljungberg_eng.pdf)1) Overview of the PlanWise application and examples of its use. Författare: Öhman, K. Eggers, J (2020) [Overview of the PlanWise application and examples of its use. ] (https://pub.epsilon.slu.se/17122/1/eggers_j_et_al_200602.pdf)1) Optimisation in: Decision Support for Forest Management. Managing Forest Ecosystems Författare: Kangas A., Kurttila M., Hujala T., Eyvindson K., Kangas J. [Optimisation in: Decision Support for Forest Management. Managing Forest Ecosystems] (<//link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23522-6_6#citeas>)1) Development and Evaluation of Forest Management Scenarios Long-term Analysis at the Landscape level pages 1-26 Författare: Eggers, J. [Development and Evaluation of Forest Management Scenarios Long-term Analysis at the Landscape level pages 1-26] (https://pub.epsilon.slu.se/14286/1/eggers_j_170502.pdf)1) Balancing landscape-level forest management between recreation and wood production Författare: Eggers, J., Lindhagen A., Lind T., Lämås T. and Öhman K [Balancing landscape-level forest management between recreation and wood production] (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1618866717305642?via%3Dihub)1) Integrating bilberry yields into regional long-term forest scenario analyses Författare: Kilpeläinen, H., Salminen, O.,Härkönen, K., Miina J., and Kurttila M. [ Integrating bilberry yields into regional long-term forest scenario analyses] (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02827581.2017.1407821?needAccess=true)1) Forest decision support systems for the analysis of ecosystem services provisioning at the landscape scale under global climate and market change scenarios Författare: Nordström, E-M. et al [Forest decision support systems for the analysis of ecosystem services provisioning at the landscape scale under global climate and market change scenarios] (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10342-019-01189-z)1) Optimizing spatial habitat suitability and timber revenue in long-term forest planning Författare: Öhman, K., Edenius, L., & Mikusinski, G. [Optimizing spatial habitat suitability and timber revenue in long-term forest planning] (https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/full/10.1139/X10-232#.XdK7ENV7laQ)1) Managing a boreal forest landscape for providing timber, storing and sequestering carbon Författare: Triviño, M., Juutinen, A., Mazziotta, A., Miettinen, K., Podkopaev, D., Reunanen P., and Mönkkönen, M. [Managing a boreal forest landscape for providing timber, storing and sequestering carbon] (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212041615000212)