Pomology - cultivation, propagation and plant protection
Fruit cultivation is important from a Swedish horticultural perspective and deeply rooted in our cultural history. During this course, you will get an introduction to the theoretical and practical aspects of fruit cultivation in Sweden. You will learn more about factors affecting fruit cultivation as well as what measures should be taken, and why. You will also learn basic principles of pruning as well as common propagation techniques. You will practice on identifying the most common diseases and damages to fruit trees as well as suggesting measures.
The subject of pomology is divided into two courses, one of which takes place in the autumn and the other in the spring. The idea is that you will be able to follow the value chain for Swedish-produced fruit during one year. However, the courses can be taken in an independent order. Both courses comprise online lectures and exercises.
Information from the course leader
Kursen kommer att ges 100% på distans VT22
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
Additional course evaluations for TD0016
Academic year 2022/2023
2023-01-16 - 2023-06-04
Syllabus and other information
TD0016 Pomology - cultivation, propagation and plant protection, 7.5 CreditsPomologi - odling, förökning och växtskydd
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirementsBachelor’s level (G1N)
Prior knowledgeThe equivalence of general entrance requirements for higher education studies.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved mandatory elements.
- If a student has failed an examination, the examiner has the right to issue supplementary assignments. This applies if it is possible and there are grounds to do so.
- The examiner can provide an adapted assessment to students entitled to study support for students with disabilities following a decision by the university. Examiners may also issue an adapted examination or provide an alternative way for the students to take the exam.
- If this syllabus is withdrawn, SLU may introduce transitional provisions for examining students admitted based on this syllabus and who have not yet passed the course.
- For the assessment of an independent project (degree project), the examiner may also allow a student to add supplemental information after the deadline for submission. Read more in the Education Planning and Administration Handbook.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to participate in teaching and/or supervision only applies for the course instance the student was admitted to and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, students are entitled to participate in components with compulsory attendance when the course is given again. Read more in the Education Planning and Administration Handbook.
Additional informationThe course is held at semi-distance at quarter speed over a semester.
Department of Plant Breeding
- Fruktodling och efterskördsbehandling Författare: I. Tahir ISBN: 978-91-86417-88-8 [Fruktodling och efterskördsbehandling] (https://pub.epsilon.slu.se/11870/7/tahir_ibrahim_150213.pdf) Kommentar: Förutom den rekommenderade boken, omfattar kurslitteratur även lärarnas presentationer och artiklar som rekommenderas av lärare vid föreläsningar