Advanced Project Work in Energy Systems Engineering
The course evaluation is not yet activatedThe course evaluation is open between 2022-01-09 and 2022-01-30
TE0023 Advanced Project Work in Energy Systems Engineering, 15.0 CreditsFördjupande projektarbete i energisystem
Education cycleMaster’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldSecond cycle, other second-cycle courses as entry requirements(A1F)
Pass / Failed The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledge- 130 credits in the Energy Systems Engineering Programme, including 10 credits at advanced level.
- English 6 from Swedish Upper Secondary School (a Swedish Bachelor of Science exam fulfils the requirement for English)
ObjectivesThe project work gives the student training to plan, implement and present research- or development assignments, working independently or in a team. The aim is also to apply, deepen and broaden the knowledge from previous courses within the energy systems engineering programme.
On completion of the course the student should be able to
- independently formulate and solve problems scientifically, and perform tasks within given time frames.
- search for and process knowledge needed for performing a project
- show deep knowledge on the topic of the project
- perform quantitative assessments of the functions of different systems or subsystems
- apply their knowledge to achieve a set objective
- compile and report the results of the project orally and in writing.
ContentPerformance of an independent project, individually or in collaboration with one or several other students. Project performed in collaboration between students from different universities and/or with different academic backgrounds are encouraged. The task is selected in dialogue with the supervisor, the subject reviewer and the examiner.
The project shall
1. be a development or research project of relevance to the energy systems subject and will be performed in close connection to an ongoing research or development project at a university department, a company, a public body, or other organization, with guidance from a supervisor.
2. be at advanced level in the technology subject and make use of knowledge from previous advanced courses in the programme
3. cover quantitative assessments of the functions of systems or subsystems, for example through modelling, simulation, statistical data analysis, experiments or optimization. The quantitative assessements should be at a level where numerical methods or advanced analytical methods are required.
The student will independently:
- find a project by contacting the workplace and its representatives (normally the future supervisor)
- develop a project plan with support from the supervisor
- perform the work by gathering knowledge from various Swedish and international sources, including scientific journals
- write a project report in Swedish or English (the report should have a summary in the language in which it is not written)
- make a self-evaluation of the report
- make an oral presentation of the project
The teaching consists of individual supervision. The course includes subject-integrated training of communication skills.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved oral and written presentation of project work. In cases where the project work has been done in group, the individual contributions are documented (e.g. in a logbook) and reported in the project report and during the oral presentation.
If there are special circumstances, the examiner may make exceptions from the specified examination method and allow other methods for examination of individual students. Special circumstances can e.g. be that you have been granted targeted support by SLU’s support coordinator for students with disabilities.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationApplications for the course must be submitted to the examiner on a special form. The proposal should include a workplace, a supervisor and a subject reviewer, and it should be approved by the examiner before the course start. The course may be conducted at any study period of the year. Only one Advanced Project Work in Energy Systems Engineering course can be included in the examination requirements for the Energy Systems Engineering Programme.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Energy and Technology
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom naturresurser och jordbruk (PN - NJ)
Replaces: TN0207, TE0012
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: No The course is offered as a programme course: Master Programme in Energy Systems Engineering Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 38054 SEK Cycle: Master’s level
Subject: Technology TechnologyCourse code: TE0023 Application code: SLU-10222 Distance course: No Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Energy and Technology Pace: 50%