Zotero and Mendeley are reference management programs. There is a SLU Harvard style that can be used in both programs. Here you find information about the programs, the style and how to use it.
Zotero is a free open source reference management program, which means that you as a student can continue to use it even after you have left SLU.
- Zotero recognises when you view a bibliographic reference in a web browser and can automatically save the information to the program.
- If you are writing an essay with someone else it is easy to share references by creating a group in Zotero.
- Zotero keeps your reference library on your computer synchronised with a web version so that you always can access them, as long as you have a computer with internet access.
Download Zotero and find more information:
- Download Zotero
- The SLU University Library FAQ about Zotero
- The SLU University Library's film "Get started with reference management software" (05:25)
- Using Zotero with Google Docs
- A quick guide to Zotero by Uppsala University Library (pdf)
SLU Harvard style for Zotero
The SLU Harvard style is called Acta Universitatis agriculturae Sueciae. It can be used for texts in both Swedish and English. The style is in a CSL format and can also be used in other reference management programs that uses the CSL format.
- SLU Harvard style for Zotero (Search for Acta Universitatis agriculturae Sueciae and download)
- How do I use the SLU Harvard style file in Zotero?
Mendeley is a free reference management program helps you to organise, cite, collaborate and searching.
Note that the SLU Windows environment does not allow any add-ins from cloud services. Therefore, Mendeley Cite add-in for Word does not work for Word connected to Office 365 at SLU. To be able to use Mendeley for citing in Word, you must have a personal Word installed or use Word Online that is not linked to your SLU-account.
- Automatically synchronise your references between Mendeley Reference Manager and Mendeley’s website.
- Easy to collaborate with others – you can share references and notes in groups.
- The option to search mendeley.com for references to millions of scientific articles.
Download Mendeley and read help guides:
SLU Harvard style for Mendeley
Applicable if you can use Mendeley Cite.
To download the add-in:
- In Mendeley use the tab Tools > Install Mendeley Cite for Microsoft Word.
- In Word use tab Insert and My Add-ins to find Mendeley Cite.
Finding SLU reference styles:
- Use the tab Citation Settings in Mendeley Cite to choose a different style, and search for Acta Universitatis agriculturae Sueciae.