The web service is platform-independent. It means it can be used by any computer operating system and clients can be created in any computer language and tools that support SOAP.
GeoReferenceService is one of the web services in ArtDatabankenSOA.
Available types of data
Information about different types of regions in Sweden. For example enumeration of provinces, counties and municipalities.
Detailed documentation availble online on address: https://doc.artdatabankensoa.se/WebService
Namespaces that describes the web service GeoReferenceService:
- GeoReferenceService contains definition of the web service interface.
- ArtDatabanken.WebService.Data defines structure of data that web service uses.
Web service status
Current status for SOAP based web services can be viewed in the webb application WebAdministration.
Client data layer
Swedish Species Information Center has created a client data layer for internal use. Those who want to use the web services in ArtDatabankenSOA may choose to use our client data layer. This client data layer is plattform specific and uses Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5. The data layer consists of some Dynamic-link libraries (DLL) and can be downloaded from the following link:
It is optional but recommended to use this client data layer. Last update of these dll's was done 2017-01-30.
Benefits when using the Client Data Layer
- Object oriented: Web services are not object oriented but the client data layer is.
- Hides communication: Communication is handled by the client data layer.
- Efficiency: Client data layer handles data efficiently, for example with the help of caching.
- Shorter development time: A lot of code are already created and tested.
GeoReferenceService can be used together with the client data layer.
Technical details about the web service
The interface to GeoReferenceService is prepared for multi language handling but currently only swedish are supported.
All web services in ArtDatabanken SOA support both SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2. For efficiency reasons Swedish Species Information Center uses a Microsoft specific binary format for internal use. All web services have three endpoints that supports the three different protocols.
- SOAP 1.1 has the base address of the web service. For example https://GeoReference.ArtDatabankenSoa.se/GeoReferenceService.svc
- SOAP 1.2 has extension /SOAP12 added to the base address. For example https://GeoReference.ArtDatabankenSoa.se/GeoReferenceService.svc/SOAP12
- Binary format has extension /Fast added to the base address. For example https://GeoReference.ArtDatabankenSoa.se/GeoReferenceService.svc/Fast
WSDL description of a web services can be retrived by adding ?wsdl to the base address of the web service. For example https://GeoReference.ArtDatabankenSoa.se/GeoReferenceService.svc?wsdl
GeoReferenceService does not modify any data so it needs no transaction handling.
A user must login to GeoReferenceService before any other methods in the web service are called. Login is made by a call to the Login method which on successful login returns a security token in property WebLoginResponse.Token. This security token must be keept by the client application and is provided in property WebClientInformation.Token in further calls to the web service. When the user has finished using the the web service a call to the method Logout should be made