Research methodology/expertise skills
Identification and cloning of chemosensory receptors of insects
Heterologous expression and functional characterization in empty neurons of D. melanogaster - single sensillum recording (SSR) and GC-SSR
Heterologous expression and functional characterization of IRs, ORs and TRP channels of insect and mammals by the use of cell-based methods (HEK293) and Ca++/Na+/K+ cation-imaging
Insect Ionotropic Receptors (IRs), Olfactory Receptors (ORs/PRs) and Transient Receptor Potential (TRP) channels
Since the 2018, I contribute with SLU-docents by teaching in several courses at MSc and PhD-levels:
· Course BI1400 “Host Plant Resistance Breeding as a part of Integrated Pest Management” Erasmus program ESCAPADE. Project tutor entitled “Insect pests: interactions with fruit crops”. August 17-21 2021
· Course FÖ0435 - Product Development and Innovation Systems in Horticulture. Lecture title: “Molecular strategies to pest management: an introduction to methods based on RNAi and CRISPR/Cas9”: December 2021 (date to be defined); December 1 2020 and December 3 2019
· Course BI1397 - Basic and Applied Ecology. Lecture title: “From a pest perspective: ecological interactions of semiochemicals and their receptors”: October 14 2021.
· Corso BI1267 - Integrated Pest Management for Sustainable Production Systems. Lecture title: “Semiochemicals and their use in integrated pest management”: September 20 2021; September 21 2020; September 23 2019; September 18 2018.
· Course BI1346 - Chemical Ecology for Sustainable Insect Pest Control. Lecture title: “Molecular ecology and pharmacology of chemosensory receptors of pest insects”: February 18 2019. Note: for the course of 2022 I have been recruited as a co-coordinator for: lab tours, literature seminars, project workshops, and resource contacts. In the frame of this course I also gave three lessons: "Insect brein and modulators" (February 16), "Ecological interactions of semiochemicals with pest insects, chemosensory receptors, and heterologous methods to their functional characterization" (February 17) and "How to write a manuscript"(March 9).
· University of Lausanne - Course: "Ecologie générale, evolution et introduction à l'écologie comportementale", expert observer of the oral exam conducted in French.
12/2019 - now
Control of fruit pests by targeting larval chemical sensing - FORMAS mobility grant, SLU + CIG-Benton Lab, University of Lausanne
02/2018 - 11/2019 Postdoctoral research
Control of Apple Pest Insects with Fruit and Yeast Odorants - Craaford foundation
09/2015 - 09/2016 Postdoctoral research
Chemosensory mechanisms of taste in Papilionid butterflies - University of Cagliari and Edmund Mach Foundation (Italy)
07/2011 - 12/2015 PhD research
Molecular biology of chemosensory systems of Tortricid pests' olfaction - Agricultural Entomology Division, Edmund Mach Foundation - Department of Food, Nutritional and Environmental Sciences, University of Milan (Italy)
09/2014 - 05/2015 Short term scholar PhD research
Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience, Chemical Sensing division, University of Florida (USA)
04/2011 - 07/2011 Short term research
Bioinformatics - CREA genomics and post-genomics (Italy)
02/2010 - 07/2010 Research trainee
Department for Applied Genetics and Cell Biology - Universität für Bodenkultur (Austria)
01/2008 - 06/2008 Research trainee
Department of Biological Sciences - University of Warwick (UK)
Since 2020: University of Lausanne, Center for Integrative Genomics - Benton Lab
Since 2019: Agriculture Research Service - United States Department of Agriculture (USDA - Yakima, WS-USA)
Since 2014: Whitney laboratory for Marine Bioscience - University of Florida (FL-USA)
In the frame of my FORMAS project, I am cooperation with the following stakeholders between Sweden and Italy:
- Dr. Sanja Manduric, Plant protection in fruits and berries, Jordbruks Verket - Swedish Board of Agriculture (http://www.jordbruksverket.se)
- Dr. Åsa Olsson, chief scientist of nematology, Husållningssällskapet (http://hushallningssallskapet.se)
- Dr. Malin Dörre, fruit crop advisor, Äppleriket (http://www.appelriket.se)
- Dr. Victoria Tönnberg, Husållningssällskapet (http://hushallningssallskapet.se)
- Miss. C inna C ederlöf, independent advisor for apple and pear crops, Awika Advies (email@example.com).
- Prof. Johan A. Stenberg, head of the strawberry lab, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (http://www.slu.se)
- Mr. Johan Biärsjö, Hallon Garden Trelleborg (http://www.hallongarden.com)
- Prof. C arlo Signorelli, President of the Mountain C ommunity of Valsassina, Valvarrone, Val d'Esino and Riviera valleys (http://www.valsassina.it)
- Mr. Loris Maines, technical manager, farmer union C oldiretti, section of Cles (TN) - Italy (http://www.coldiretti.it)
- Dr. Andrea Maria Longo, director of the World Wildelife Found (WWF) oasis of Vanzago, Milan (http://www.boscowwfdivanzago.it)
- Mr. Enrico C rola, Enrico C rola Winery (http://www.cantinecrola.it)
- Dr. Giovanni Licheri, Azienda Agricola Licheri Giovanni Luca (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017 - Professional qualification - Biologist
Qualification as professional Biologist - University of Parma (Italy)
2011 - 2015 PhD
Chemistry Biochemistry and Ecology of Pesticides, Edmund Mach Foundation, University of Milan (Italy), University of Florida (USA)
2008 - 2010 Master of Science
Plant, Food and Agro-environmental Biotechnologies - University of Milan (Italy), Universität für Bodenkultur (Austria)
2005 - 2008 Bachelor
Plant Biotechnologies - University of Milan (Italy), University of Warwick (UK)
· BI1346 - Pilote project master student in the frame of the course "Chemical Ecology for Sustainable Insect Pest Control"; February - March 2022.
· BI1268 - Practical research training at SLU-Alnarp of one student; winter 2018-spring 2019;
· Gymnasiearbete Program, summer 2018 at SLU-Alnarp: instruction of high school students to academic research activities: 2 slots of 2 students;
· Lab demonstration to the use of GC-SSR equipment during the following summer schools:
- Analytical methods in Chemical Ecology, Alnarp - Sweden, August 5-16 2019
- ICE-2018: PhD course in Insect Chemical Ecology, Alnarp - Sweden, 11-22 June 2018
· Training of two PhD students the use of Single Sensillum Recording; Alnarp, Sweden, January-March 2019
· Cattaneo, A.M. (2022) Reviewing findings on the polypeptide sequence of the Sars-CoV-2 S-protein to discuss the origins of the virus. Future Virology - Manuscript ID FVL-2021-0233 Status: Accepted
· Mollo E., Boero F., Peñuelas J., Fontana A., Garson M.J., Roussis V., Cerrano C., Polese G., Cattaneo, A.M., Mudianta W., Genta-Jouve G., Taglialatela-Scafati O., Appendino G., Amodeo P., Ghiseling M.P. (2022) Taste and Smell: a unifying chemosensory theory. Quat Rev Biol. Manuscript ID: QRB MS 9150. Status: Accepted.
· Crava, M.C, Bobkov, Y.V., Sollai, G. Anfora, G., Crnjar, R.M. and Cattaneo, A.M. (2021) Chemosensory receptors in the larval maxilla of Papilio hospiton. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 9:795994.doi: 10.3389/fevo.2021.795994
· Bobkov, Y.V., Walker III, W.B. and Cattaneo, A.M. (2021) Altered functional properties of the codling moth Orco mutagenized in the intracellular loop-3. Scientific Reports, 11:3893 DOI: 10.1038/s41598-021-83024-3
· Garczynski, S.F., Cattaneo, A.M., and Walker III, W.B. (2019) Alternative Splicing of the CpomOR53 Gene Produces Three Transcripts Expressed in Codling Moth (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) Antennae. Journal of Economic Entomology, 112(2), 991–996
· Cattaneo, A.M. (2018) Current status on the functional characterization of chemosensory receptors of Cydia pomonella (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscinece, August 2018, Volume 12, Aritcle 189. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00189.
· Cattaneo, A.M., Bobkov, Y.V., Corey, E.A., Borgonovo, G. and Bassoli, A. (2017) Perilla derived compounds mediate human TRPA1 channel activity. Medicinal & Aromatic Plants, 6:1-1000283, doi: 10.4172/2167-0412.1000283.
· Cattaneo, A.M., Gonzalez, F., Bengtsson, J.M., Corey, E.A., Jacquin-Joly, E., Montagné, N., Salvagnin, U., Walker III, W.B., Witzgall, P., Anfora, G. and Bobkov, Y.V. (2017) Candidate pheromone receptors of codling moth Cydia pomonella respond to pheromones and kairomones. Scientific Reports, 7: 41105, doi: 10.1038/srep41105.
· Cattaneo, A.M., Bengtsson, J.M., Montagne, N., Jacquin-Joly, E., Rota-Stabelli, O., Salvagnin, U., Bassoli, A., Witzgall, P. and Anfora, G. (2016) TRPA5, an Ankyrin subfamily insect TRP channel, is expressed in antennae of Cydia pomonella (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) in multiple splice variants. Journal of Insect Science, 16(1): 83, 1-11, doi: 10.1093/jisesa/iew072.
· Gonzalez, F., Bengtsson, J.M., Walker, W.B., Sousa, M., Cattaneo A.M., Montagné, N., Anfora, G., Jacquin-Joly, E., Witzgall, P., Ignell, R. and Bengtsson, M. (2015) A conserved odorant receptor in two herbivorous insects detects indanone compounds. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, November 15, Volume 3, Article 131, doi: 10.3389/fevo.2015.00131.
· Cattaneo, A.M., Bengtsson, J.M., Borgonovo, G., Bassoli, A., Anfora, G. (2014) Response of the European Grapevine Moth Lobesia botrana to somatosensory-active volatiles emitted by the non-host plant Perilla frutescens. Physiological Entomology, 39, 229-236, doi: 10.1111/phen.12067.
· Bengtsson, J.M., Gonzalez, F., Cattaneo, A.M., Montagné, N., Walker, W.B., Bengtsson, M., Anfora G., Ignell, R., Jacquin-Joly, E. and Witzgall, P. (2014) A predicted sex pheromone receptor of codling moth Cydia pomonella detects the plant volatile pear ester. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, July 2014, Volume 2, Article 33, doi: 10.3389/fevo.2014.0003.
· Cattaneo A.M. (2017) Unveiling sensory mechanisms for the control of two insect pests: from behavior to molecular interactions. ISBN 9788892329430 GEDI Gruppo Editoriale Spa - P.iva 00906801006 ILMIOLIBRO, 2nd edition. Generated from the PhD-Thesis in Philosophy Doctorate School in Chemistry, Biochemistry and Ecology of Pesticides, Dec. 17 2015.