My research is focused on aquaculture breeding programs. Particular emphasis on application of high-throughput sequencing technologies for studying complex traits in aquaculture species.
My current research involves the incorporation of high-throughput sequencing technologies in the ongoing national Swedish breeding programs of Arctic charr and rainbow trout (www.vbcn.se), aiming at increasing selection accuracies of complex traits.
My prior post in Roslin Institute was under the FISHBOOST project (www.fishboost.eu), aiming at improving genetic resistance of farmed fish against commonly encountered diseases.
I have an MSc in Aquaculture (Stirling University) and an MSc in Sustainable Management of Aquatic Environment. Completed my PhD (2013) in the Institute of Aquaculture (Stirling University, UK) on Analysing sex determination in farmed fish using Next Generation DNA. Additionally, i have worked in as a postdoctoral research fellow in Stirling University and in Roslin Insitute (University of Edinburgh.
1. C.Palaiokostas, Sophie Cariou, Anastasia Bestin, Jean-Sebastien Bruant, Pierrick Haffray, Thierry Morin, Joëlle Cabon, François Allal, Marc Vandeputte, Ross D. Houston. Genome-wide association and genomic prediction of resistance to viral nervous necrosis in European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) using RAD sequencing. Genet Sel Evol 2018, 50(1): 30
2. D. Robledo, C. Palaiokostas, L. Bargelloni, P. Martinez, R.D. Houston. Application of genotyping by sequencing in aquaculture breeding and genetics. Reviews in Aquaculture, 2017, doi: 10.1111/raq.12193
3. C. Palaiokostas, S. Ferraresso, R. Franch, R.D. Houston, L. Bargelloni. Genomic prediction of resistance to pasteurellosis in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) using 2b-RAD sequencing. Genes Genomes Genetics 2016, 10.1534/g3.116.035220.
4. C. Palaiokostas, M. Bekaert, J.B. Taggart, K. Gharbi, B.J. McAndrew, D.J. Penman, M. Vandeputte. A new SNP-based vision of the genetics of sex determination in European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Genetics Selection Evolution 2015, 47:68
5. C. Palaiokostas, M. Bekaert, A. Davie, M. E. Cowan, M. Oral, J.B. Taggart, K. Gharbi, B.J. McAndrew, D.J. Penman, H. Migaud. Mapping the sex determination locus in the Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) using RAD sequencing. BMC Genomics 2013, 14:556.
6. C. Palaiokostas, M. Bekaert, M.G.Q. Khan, J.B. Taggart, K. Gharbi, B.J. McAndrew, D.J. Penman. Mapping and Validation of the Major Sex-Determining Region in Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) using RAD Sequencing. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(7): e68389.