- Water- and energy fluxes in soil-plant-atmosphere systems
- Agroecosystems & Climate Change
- Crop modelling, carbon and nitrogen flows
- Climate impacts on water and solute transport in soils
- Processoriented simulation models
Current/ recent research projects
Soil structure and soil degradation: improved model tools to meet sustainable development goals under climate and land use change (Partner/Co-applicant/ PI: N. Jarvis), FORMAS, 2019.
Uncertainties in the regulation of carbon mineralisation by soil moisture - Implications for modelling sustainable cropping systems under climate change. Co-applicant/PI: E Coucheney, FORMAS 2019 - 2021.
Quantifying Uncertainties in Future Projections of Swedish Surface Water Quality (Project partner/co-applicant, PI: M. Futter) FORMAS, 2016-2018.
- Climate change Impacts on Water balance and Nitrate leaching in Swedish arable land. Risk assessments and Uncertainty analyses. (FORMAS )
- Pesticide leaching in a changed climate - Risk assessments of losses to surface and groundwater (SLF -2014)
- Pesticide leaching in relation to precipitation patterns and soil moisture. Risk analyses and adaptation of application time (SLF -2011)
- The impact of cultivation on greenhouse gas fluxes from organic agricultural soil: Should we set aside farmland ? (Project partner, FORMAS -2014).
EU-research network activities
- Constantin J et al. 2019. Management and spatial resolution effects on yield and water balance at regional scale in crop models. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 275: 184-195. Free download until 19 July 2019 here.
- Maharjan R. G. et al, 2018. Effects of input data aggregation on simulating crop yields in temperate and Mediterranean climates. European Journal of Agronomy 103: 32-46.
- Ulén B, Lewan E, Kyllmar K, Blomberg M and Andersson S. 2018. Impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on Swedish Winter Climate and Nutrient Leaching. J. Environ. Qual. doi:10.2134/jeq2018.06.0237
- Wallor E et al, 2018. The response of process-based agro-ecosystem models to within-field variability in site conditions. Field Crops Research, 228: 1-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.fcr.2018.08.021.
- Coucheney E, Eckersten H, Hoffmann H, Jansson PE, Gaiser T, Ewert F, Lewan E. 2018. Key functional soil types explain data aggregation effects on simulated yield, soil carbon, drainage and nitrogen leaching at a regional scale. Geoderma, 318: 167-181. DOI: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.11.025
- Grozs B et al. 2017. The implication of input data aggregation on up-scaling soil organic carbon changes. Environmental Modelling & Software, 96:361 -377.
- Kuhnert M et al. 2017. Impact analysis of climate data aggregation at different spatial scales on simulated Net Primary Productivity for croplands. European J. of Agronomy, 88: 41 - 52.
- Hoffmann H et al. 2016. Impact of spatial soil and climate input data aggregation on regional yield simulations. PLOS ONE 11(4):e0151782. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0151782 (Open Access Journal).
- Zhao G et al. 2016. Evaluating the precision of eight spatial sampling schemes in estimating regional mean of simulated yields for two crops. Environmental Modelling and Software 80, 100-112.
- Zhao G et al. 2015. Effect of weather data aggregation on regional crop simulation for different crops, production conditions, and response variables. Climate Research 65, 141-157.
- Steffens K, Jarvis N, Lewan E, Lindström B, Kreuger J, Kjellström E, Moeys J. 2015. Direct and indirect effects of climate change on herbicide leaching – a regional scale assessment in Sweden. Science of the Total Environment 514, 239-249.
- Steffens K, Larsbo M, Moeys J, Kjellström E, Jarvis N, Lewan E. 2014. Modelling pesticide leaching under climate change: parameter versus climate input uncertainty. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 18, 479–491.
- Steffens K, Larsbo M, Moeys J, Jarvis N, Lewan E. 2013. Predicting pesticide leaching under Climate Change. Importance of model-structure and parameter uncertainty. Agric. Ecosyst. Env., 172:24-34.
- Eckersten H, Herrmann A, Kornher A, Halling M, Sindhøj E, Lewan E. 2012. Predicting silage maize yield and quality in Sweden as influenced by climate change and variability. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B – Soil and Plant Science, No 62 :151 - 165.
- Lewan E, Jarvis N, Kreuger J. 2009. Implications of precipitation patterns and antecedent soil water content for leaching of pesticides from arable land. Agric. Water Man. 96 (11): 1633-1648. doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2009.06.006.
- Gustafsson D, Lewan E and Jansson P-E. 2004. Modeling Water and Heat balance of the Boreal Landscape in Scandinavia - Comparison of Forest and Arable land. J. Appl. Met.43 (11): 1740 – 1767.
- Blombäck K, Eckersten H, Lewan E and Aronsson H. 2003. Simulations of soil carbon and nitrogen dynamics during seven years in a catch crop experiment. Agric.Syst., 76/1: 95-114.
- Gustafsson D, Lewan E, van den Hurk BJJM, Viterbo P, Grelle A, Lindroth A, Cienciala E, Mölder M, Halldin S, Lundin L-C. 2003. Boreal-Forest Surface Parameterization in the ECMWF Model – 1D Test with NOPEX Long-Term Data. J. Appl. Met. 2, (1): 95-112.