Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (Uppsala, SWD) Winter 2014 – Current
- PhD Student in Energy and Technology developing sanitation systems that optimize the retention of nutrients from human excreta to be safely used as fertilizer (Supervisor: Dr. Björn Vinnerås)
McGill University (Montreal, Qc) Winter 2011 – October 2013
- Master’s Degree in Bioresource Engineering analyzing the use of human urine as fertilizer through field experiments in northern India (Supervisor: Professor Mark Lefsrud)
McGill University (Montreal, Qc) Fall 2006 – May 2010
- Bachelor Degree in Bioresource Engineering in the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, MacDonald Campus
Urinal Design Contest (Switzerland) Fall 2013
- Joint winners in designing a urinal for emergency situations
Shastri-Institute Master’s Research Fellowship Award (Canada) Winter 2011
- Grant to research the impacts of using human urine as a fertilizer in India
Gold Key Award (Montreal, Qc) Winter 2010
- Presented for my leadership and excellence in development of extra-curricular activities for the students and faculty at McGill University
Other awards: Eco-Logical Competition (1st place, 2010); Quebec Engineering Competition (3rd place, 2010); Gunlogson Environmental Design Competition (1st place, 2009); Undergraduate Thesis Award (1st place, 2009)
Senecal, J., Vinnerås, B. 2017. Urea stabilisation and concentration for urine-diverting dry toilets: Urine dehydration in ash. Science of The Total Environment, 586, 650–657.
Lalander, C., Senecal, J., Gros Calvo, M., Ahrens, L., Josefsson, S., Wiberg, K., Vinnerås, B. 2016. Fate of pharmaceuticals and pesticides in fly larvae composting. Science of The Total Environment, 565, 279-286.