My name is Jenny Yngvesson. I have a background in Zoology and Ethology from Linköping and Lund Universities. My masterproject took me to SLU Skara as Ethology was the part of Zoology that interested me the most. This raised my interest in Farm Animal Behaviour and thereby also an interest in Animal Protection and Welfare. Since then I have worked with research on farm animals in Sweden, Tanzania, Mexico and the USA. Apart from that I have worked practically at a slaughterplant and as a milker on dairy farms. My PhD was focused on cannibalism in laying hens. After my dissertation I worked with Animal Welfare Legislation at the central Competent Authority Board, but eventually I came back to SLU to work with teaching and research. The work with students is inspiring and fun and I am driven by developing my teaching pedagogically!
The research I focus on right now is:
- Welfare in laying hens
- Slow growing broilers behaviour and welfare
- Play behaviour and anticipation in lamb
- Welfare and animal welfare audits in race horses
- Welfare and behavior in ridden horse
- Jensen, P; Yngvesson, J, 1998. Aggression between unacquainted pigs - sequential assessment and effects of familiarity and weight. Applied Animal Behaviour Science Vol. 58, pp 49-61.
- Gunnarsson, S; Yngvesson, J; Keeling, LJ, et al., 2000. Rearing without early access to perches impairs the spatial skills of laying hens. Applied Animal Behaviour Science Vol. 67, pp 217-228.
- Yngvesson, J; Keeling, LJ, 2001. Body size and fluctuating asymmetry in relation to cannibalistic behaviour in laying hens. Animal Behaviour Vol. 61, pp 609-615.
- Jung, J; Yngvesson, J; Jensen, P, 2002. Effects of reduced time on pasture caused by prolonged walking on behaviour and production of Mpwapwa Zebu cattle. Grass and forage science Vol. 57, pp 105-112.
- Yngvesson, J; Keeling, LJ; Newberry, RC, 2004. Individual production differences do not explain cannibalistic behaviour in laying hens. British Poultry Science Vol. 45, pp. 453-462.
- Andersson, M; Lundberg, A; Loberg, J; Yngvesson J, 2011. Practising generic skills within PBL. Conference abstract at 'Celebrating the Past and Embracing the Future: Evolution and Innovation in Problem-based Learning' Conference 30th & 31st March 2011. Grange Over Sands, Storbritannien.
- Loberg, JL; Andersson, M; Yngvesson, J, 2011. Evaluation of the students perceived larning outcome with different examinations within a PBL curriculum. Pedagogisk konferens "Celebrating the past and embracing the future: Evolution and innovation in problem based learning" 30-31 March, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK.
- Berg, C., Yngvesson, J., 2012. Optimal stocking density for broilers – optimal for whom? World's Poultry Science Journal, Vol 68, suppl 1, 6 pp.
- Berg, C., Berk, J., Bessei, W., Bokkers, E., Buijs, S., Butterworth, A., Estevez, I., De Jong, I., Mench, J., Nielsen, B., Steenfeldt, S., Thaxton, Y., Yngvesson, J., Ventura, B., Zoons, J., 2012. Update of the welfare of chickens kept for meat production (broilers). In: De Jong, I., Berg, C., Butterworth, A., Estevez, I. (eds) Scientific report updating the EFSA opinions on the welfare of broilers and broiler breeders. Supporting publications 2012:EN-295, 116 pp. available online: www.efsa.europe.eu/publications.
- Berg, Yngvesson, Nimmermark, Sandström & Algers., 2014. Killing of spent Swedish laying hens using CO2 in the barn. Animal Welfare. Vol 23: 445-457.
- Yngvesson, J; Stigwall, A; Leijonflycht, C; Ventorp, M., 2014. Housing related injuries in Swedish horses: causes and preventative actions. Proc. ISAE Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain.