Kibrom Berhe Abreha
We are investigating interactions of Phytophthora infestans with potato and three wild Solanum species growing in Sweden. P. infestans is an oomycete that causes the devastating late blight disease. We have applied next generation sequencing (NGS) to profile transcriptome of potato clones and its wild relatives after inoculation by the pathogen. We are also using quantitative proteomics approach to understand innate immunity activation in these hosts grown in natural habitats and agricultural fields. The wild Solanum species are being screened for resistance against different strains of the pathogen and cloning of a putative resistance (aka Rpi-) gene is underway. Furthermore, we are looking into transgenerational stability of induced resistance to P. infestans in one of the wild Solanum species.
- Abreha KB., Alexandersson E., Vossen JH., Anderson P., Andreasson E. 2015. Inoculation of Transgenic Resistant Potato by Phytophthora infestans Affects Host Plant Choice of a Generalist Moth. PLoS ONE. 10(6):e0129815. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0129815
- Frades I.*, Abreha KB.*, Proux-Wéra E., Lankinen Å., Andreasson E and Alexandersson E. 2015. A novel workflow correlating RNA-seq data to Phythophthora infestans resistance levels in wild Solanum species and potato clones. Front. Plant Sci. 6:718. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00718. * co-first author
- Lankinen, A., Abreha, KB., Alexandersson, E., Andersson, S., and Andreasson, E. 2016. Nongenetic inheritance of induced resistance in a wild annual plant. Phytopathology 106:877-883
- Andreasson E, Abreha KB, Resjö S. 2015. Isolation of Apoplast. Methods in Molecular Biology. In Press
- Boddum T, Molnar B, Hill SR, Bigrersson G, Hansson BS, Abreha KB., E Andreasson and Y Hillbur. 2015. Swede Midge (Contarinia nasturtii) attraction to Arabidopsis with altered volatile profiles. Plant biology Journal. Submitted manuscript