I have always been interested in the behaviour of materials, from why egg whites foam to how plastics break or how high tempearure superalloys survive in jet engines. This interest, coupled with a desire to address environmental aspects of current non-degradable plasics, has led me to work with plant protiens as a renewable and biodegradable alternative to current plastics. This has led to investigations of new sources of protein for food, addressing food security, climate change and the ongoing shift from animal protien to plant protien for human consumption. In all these cases I am interested in the relationships between molecular strucuture and functional properties.
Plant Protein Factory - Pilot scale extraction of proteins and other plant compunds from green leaves in cooperation with 14 industrial partners.
BioBIGG - a multinational Interreg SBR funded project focussed on improved utilization of bio-based resources in the South Baltic region.
STEPS - Sustainable Plastics and Transition Pathways
ProBlöja - Protein based replacements for petroleum based superabsorbents
Anna-Lovisa Nynäs (co-supervisor)
Antoino Capezza (co-supervisor) - slu.se/en/cv/antonio-jose-capezza-villa/
Anja Herneke (co-supervisor)
1. Diuk Andrade, Fabiana, William R. Newson, Oigres Daniel Bernardinelli, Faiza Rasheed, Márcio Fernando Cobo, Tomás S. Plivelic, Eduardo Ribeiro deAzevedo, and Ramune Kuktaite. "An insight into molecular motions and phase composition of gliadin/glutenin glycerol blends studied by 13C solid‐state and 1H time‐domain NMR." Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics 56, no. 9 (2018): 739-750.
2. Newson, William R., Maria Luisa Prieto-Linde, Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Effect of extraction routes on protein content, solubility and molecular weight distribution of Crambe abyssinica protein concentrates and thermally processed films thereof." Industrial Crops and Products 97 (2017): 591-598.
3. Gällstedt, Mikael, Henrik Pettersson, Therese Johansson, William R. Newson, Eva Johansson, and Mikael S. Hedenqvist. "Film extrusion of Crambe abyssinica/wheat gluten blends." Journal of Visualized Experiments: JoVE 119 (2017).
4. Kuktaite, Ramune, William R. Newson, Faiza Rasheed, Tomás S. Plivelic, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Monitoring nanostructure dynamics and polymerization in glycerol plasticized wheat gliadin and glutenin films: relation to mechanical properties." ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 4, no. 6 (2016): 2998-3007.
5. Rasel, Hannah, Therese Johansson, Mikael Gällstedt, William Newson, Eva Johansson, and Mikael Hedenqvist. "Development of bioplastics based on agricultural side‐stream products: Film extrusion of Crambe abyssinica/wheat gluten blends for packaging purposes." Journal of Applied Polymer Science 133, no. 2 (2016).
6. Rasheed, Faiza, William R. Newson, Tomás S. Plivelic, Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Macromolecular changes and nano-structural arrangements in gliadin and glutenin films upon chemical modification: Relation to functionality." International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 79 (2015): 151-159.
7. Johansson, Eva, Thomas Prade, Irini Angelidaki, Sven-Erik Svensson, William Newson, Ingólfur Gunnarsson, and Helena Hovmalm. "Economically viable components from Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus L.) in a biorefinery concept." International Journal of Molecular Sciences 16, no. 4 (2015): 8997-9016.
8. Newson, William R., Faiza Rasheed, Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, Tomás S. Plivelic, and Eva Johansson. "Commercial potato protein concentrate as a novel source for thermoformed bio-based plastic films with unusual polymerisation and tensile properties." RSC Advances 5, no. 41 (2015): 32217-32226.
9. Newson, William R., Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gallstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Effect of additives on the tensile performance and protein solubility of industrial oilseed residual based plastics." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 62, no. 28 (2014): 6707-6715.
10. Muneer, Faraz, Eva Johansson, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and William Roy Newson. "Preparation, properties, protein cross-linking and biodegradability of plasticizer-solvent free hemp fibre reinforced wheat gluten, glutenin, and gliadin composites." BioResources 9, no. 3 (2014): 5246-5261.
11. Rasheed, Faiza, William R. Newson, Tomás S. Plivelic, Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Structural architecture and solubility of native and modified gliadin and glutenin proteins: non-crystalline molecular and atomic organization." RSC Advances 4, no. 4 (2014): 2051-2060.
12. Newson, William R., Ramune Kuktaite, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Eva Johansson. "Oilseed meal based plastics from plasticized, hot pressed Crambe abyssinica and Brassica carinata residuals." Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 90, no. 8 (2013): 1229-1237.
13. Johansson, Eva, Ali Hafeez Malik, Abrar Hussain, Faiza Rasheed, William R. Newson, Tomas Plivelic, Mikael S. Hedenqvist, Mikael Gällstedt, and Ramune Kuktaite. "Wheat gluten polymer structures: the impact of genotype, environment, and processing on their functionality in various applications." Cereal Chemistry 90, no. 4 (2013): 367-376.