Welcome to apply for Drylands summer school
Welcome to apply for this summer school in Jordan about Drylands. It will be hosted by FAO in partnership with the International Year of Rangelands and Pastoralists 2026, the FAO committe on Forestry Working Group on Dryland Forests and Agrosilvopastoral Systems (COFO WG).
When? 12 – 15 September, 2023
Where? Kempinski Hotel in Amman, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
How much does it cost? There is no cost for the course itself.
However, you or your institution will need to fund flights, accommodation and daily subsistence allowance for the period you are in Amman.
Please note that applicants will be responsible for meeting the entry requirements to Jordan and obtaining any necessary visas. FAO can support this by providing a providing you with an invitation letter and a note verbale to give to the Jordanian embassy in your country to support your visa application.
Do I need prior experience in dryland management to apply?
Yes, this Summer School is designed for participants with prior experience in dryland management. This could be either academic or practical, obtained through your work experience.
We also ask that applicants complete FAO's e-Learning course on Dryland Forests and agrosilvopastoral systems before the Summer School begins. The knowledge taught in this course will form the basis for the Summer School’s syllabus. The elearning course can be accessed here.
What will I learn?
The course will explore transformative approaches to building climate resilient dryland systems. You will come away with knowledge on:
- The key concepts of sustainable transformation and social-ecological resilience
- An overview of the important role of forests and agrosilvopastoral systems
- Creating economic sustainability in drylands through sustainable value chains and increasing rural market connections
- The role of trees and livestock management in restoring dryland ecosystems
- Implementing afforestation and restoration techniques in rangelands and drylands
- Communications advocacy tools, networks and good practices to advocate your transformational initiatives/ or actions!
The course will be taught through a combination of lectures and practical field work.
For more information on speakers and lecturers, click here.
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for the Summer School, please complete the application form here.
The deadline for applications is 11 June.
Got questions? Send an email to DrylandsWG-COFO@fao.org.