Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

Exchange studies at SLU


Exchange students are students who come from one of SLU's partner universities. Before applying to SLU as an exchange student, you must be nominated by your home university. You can be an exchange student within the Erasmus programme, within the NOVA/BOVA network or by coming from a university that has a bilateral agreement with SLU. To make sure that you belong to one of these categories, contact your International Office/Study Abroad Office at your home university.

SLU has three main campuses: Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala. In addition, SLU runs educational courses and programmes all over Sweden, here is a link to our locations.

How to choose courses

The Swedish University Credit System awards 1.5 credits for each completed week of full-time study.  This system is compatible with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). 1 Swedish credit = 1 ECTS credit. In your online application you will state your course choices. Always add a second hand choice.

The Swedish academic year is divided into two semesters, 20 weeks each.  One semester of full-time studies (100%)  equals 30 credits.  Each semester is divided into two periods, worth 15 credits each. Not all courses can be studied full-time, and some courses may run for more than one period. Exchange students should be full-time students. During one semester the minimum requirement is 25 ECTS credits (The requirement of 25 ECTS does not apply to students within the NOVA/BOVA mobility program).

Only choose courses at one campus, as the SLU campuses are spread throughout a large part of Sweden. You are allowed to change a course during the first two first weeks of the semseter.

Example of course combinations equal to full-time studies:


 Period 1

Period 2





7,5 credits

7,5 credits

10 credits + 5 credits



Period 3

Period 4

15 credits

15 credits

30 credits


Make sure that you fulfill the prerequisites for the course of your choice. Talk to the exchange coordinator at your home university for advice. Count the total amount of credits that you will have by the start date of the course at SLU in order to see you if you have enough.  If it is obvious that you do not fulfill the prerequisites, there is no need to apply. Course schedules are published about three weeks before course start. Please note that SLU does not provide any languages courses.

Alnarp students only have the option of 15 credit courses.


Before you can get accepted to do a thesis at SLU you have to get a teacher at SLU to agree to be your supervisor. The supervisor must email to confirm this and send us the course code. If you do not have a supervisor at the time of the admission of the application please select Thesis/project degree. You have until 8 of May to organize your supervisor if you are starting the thesis in September. Here you can find subject areas and possible supervisors.

Accommodation for Exchange students

 SLU will guarantee accommodation to all exchange students for the duration of their studies. However, the student must apply in time to get this service. 

The cost of the fully-furnished accommodation can vary between SEK 2900-4000 per month. Accommodation is provided for the full length of the semester. The notice time varies between 1-2 calendar months depending on where the room is located.

You apply for student housing in the application form for exchange studies at SLU.

For information about the accommodation at the different campuses please go to this link: Accommodation or contact the housing offices: (Umeå and Uppsala) (Alnarp)

svenskt hus

English Language Requirements

It is up to the home university to guarantee that the student has the right level in English. The recommended requirement is the equivalent of English language studies at upper secondary school in Sweden, known as English course B. In order to enrol in courses at SLU with English as the language of instruction, the recommended English language level should be:

  • TOEFL internet-based score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written English, and a total score of 90
  • IELTS an overall mark of 6.5 and no section below 5.5
  • University of Cambridge/Oxford – “Certificate in Advanced English”, “Certificate of Proficiency” or “Diploma of English Studies”

Swedish Language Requirements

There are several ways to show that you have sufficent Swedish skills for taking courses with Swedish as the language of instruction.

  • Passed a test in Swedish for University and Colleges (TISUS) and send the results to SLU together with your application. For more information, visit TISUS Opens in new window.
  • Have completed secondary school in Danish, Norwegian or Icelandic. Send a verified copy of your grades to SLU together with your application.
  • Have completed secondary school in Finnish. Send a verified copy of your grades to SLU together with your application. If you have completed secondary school in Finnish but have not taked the Matriculation Examination in Swedish, you must have taken Swedish as a subject for at least three years (or five courses), to have an equivalent qualification to Swedish Course B.

For more information, visit University Admissions Opens in new window.

Please note that SLU does not provide any languages courses.

Erasmus placement/internship

If you would like to do an internship at SLU your first contact should be the department at SLU. Then your Erasmus Coordinator at your home university needs to approve your internship.

Erasmus Internships must be arranged in direct contact with the host department or research group at SLU. Please note that International Students Office cannot help students to find a relevant professor or researcher. Here you can find contact information for departments.

The International Students Office does not provide any service for students doing an internship. You can contact the department of your interest. It is then up to the department to determine if they can receive you or not. It might be good to know that you can´t take courses and do an internship at the same time due to the rules of the European Commission. Doing an internship doesn´t give you any credits and you are not registered as a student. It is up to the department to help you to find accommodation and to make sure that you are insured.

Veterinary students that wish to do a clinical practice have to contact their coordinator at the home university. If SLU has an exchange agreement with the home university the student can apply as an exchange student. More information can be found here.







Exchange Students

Carina Bäckström (Alnarp)
Anna Englund (Umeå)
Emma Capandegui (Uppsala)

Free-Mover Students

Student Counsellors

Partner universities (Only for international coordinators)

Erasmus agreements and Bilateral agreements 



Page updated: 2015-07-06. Page editor:

SLU, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, has its main locations in Alnarp, Skara, Umeå and Uppsala.
Tel: +46 18-67 10 00 • Fax: +46 18-67 20 00  • VAT nr: SE202100281701  • About the website
Web content: page editor or • Technical problems: