I am a docent in forestry sciences and I am also coordinator for the platform Future Forests. I try to divide my time equally on research, teaching and supervison and interactions with the forest sector and society.
Research topics and projects that I am involved:
- Modeling of forest production and site index.
- Establishment and management of mixed forest.
- Modeling the natural regeneration of birch; seed dispersal and forest
- Ungulate browsers impact on regeneration and forest management.
- Retention forestry, management in thinnings and clearfellings.
Sustainable forestry in southern Sweden (SG0231)
Are you interested in taking the course 2023? I´m the course leader so feel free to email me (in Swedish or English) if you have any questions or concerns before the course starts. See you soon!
GIS in forest and landscape (SV0014)
This is an introduction to GIS with forestry, ecology and Green infrastructure -applications. We use ArcGIS Pro and R studio for the GIS exercises and the course language is English. It will be possible from 2o23 to do the course on distance and on half time. You can find the course on the SLU Education web
I teach regularly on other courses held by the department:
Introduction to forest management research, basic data handling and statistical analysis, phD course
I have been employed at the department as research assistant since 2007, working with projects in forest management and forest conservation biology, among them Ädellövskogsprogrammet that ended 2009. Since 2007 I have also been working with Snogeholm landskapslaboratorium, which is a joint long term project for forest and landscape management including all Swedish native tree species.
I made my PhD studies at the department between 2011-2015 and have continued with research and teaching at the department since then.
Supervision of master thesis
I supervise master thesis work with 2-3 students/year, mainly in the subjects of regeneration, mixed forest or management with increased biodiversity concerns. You find all of them on Epsilon
I have also the great pleasure to supervise some PhD-students, all of them doing interesting research:
I also co-supervised in the following PhD thesis:
See publications with links below
Oral presentations at international scientific conferences
Modeling birch seed supply and seedling establishment during forest regeneration. Forest Regeneration in Changing Environments, July, 2017 ,Corvallis, Oregon, USA.
The International Society for Ecological Modelling Global Conference, May 2016. Modeling birch seed supply and seedling establishment during forest regeneration.
SNS Growth and Yield Network Conference, Simlångsdalen, Sweden. June 2015. Pre-commercial thinning, birch admixture and sprout management in planted Norway spruce stands in South Sweden.
8th International Forest Vegetation Management Conference, Halmstad, Sweden. August 2014. Mixed forest– managing natural regeneration of birch in spruce plantations.
Seed Ecology Ⅳ Conf. Shenyang China. June 2013. Modeling regeneration success of birch on clearcuts.
2nd IUFRO Conf. on Complex Forest Ecosystems, New Orleans USA. Oct 2013. Combination of regeneration methods and multiple scenario analysis in order to achieve mixed stands.
7th Int. Forest Vegetation Management Conf. Valdivia Chile. Nov 2011. Combination of regeneration methods to achieve mixed stands on clearcut areas in southern Sweden.
Related articles in forestry press (In Swedish)
1. Fler faror när värmen stiger, Smålandsposten sep 2018, Johan Persson
2. Grupper av björk bland granen, Nyhetsbrev SLU maj 2018. Pär Fornling
3. Ta vara på den självföryngrade björken, Skogseko, 3, 2017. Maria Larsson
4. Bonitering vid skrivbord ger bättre bedömning, ATL, 2017. Ulf Aronsson
5. Björk och gran goda grannar, Skogen, 5, 2017. Teresia Borgman
6. Räkna med självföryngrad björk, Nyhetsbrev SLU mars 2017. Pär Fornling
7. Tema gallring. Tidningen Skogen, 2, 2017. Teresia Borgman
8. Mer blandskog kan minska betesskadorna, Skog & Framtid, 2;216,Lars Klingström
9. Snogeholm landscape laboratory, Scapé, 15:2016
10. Hur får lövinblandning bäst resultat? ta-i Trä, Derome, 1:2016. Marie Axelsson.
11. Låt naturen fixa blandskogen. Skog & framtid, 2:2015. Lars Klingström
12. Regnbågsskogen omöjlig utan hägn. Skogsägaren, 2:2014. Pär Fornling.
Title: Regeneration and early management of birch and Norway spruce mixtures in southern Sweden. December, 2015
Link to thesis: Regeneration and early management of birch and Norway spruce mixtures in southern Sweden
Supervisors: Professor Urban Nilsson, Karin Hjelm (Skogforsk) Matts Karlsson (Södra skogsägarna). My phD was part of Future forest, a research program initiated by Mistra, the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research, and the program was a joint initiative between SLU, Umeå University and Skogforsk.