I am currently working on a project titled "Adaptation of forests to climate change." I am developing the hybrid forest Decision Support System 3PG-Heureka for Sweden. I have constructed this model during my Ph.D. programme.
I have worked on other projects like developing a standard mortality model for the Nordic forest Decision Support Systems based on the National Forest Inventory data from Norway, Sweden and Finland; Predicting the future impacts of poor regeneration in Northern Sweden. Äbin is a study highlighting the browsing damage in Northern Sweden. We have simulated the browsing damage according to Äbin dataset and made a growth prognosis for the coming 100 years using Heureka model.
I am also actively involved in the Swedish Forest Impact Assessment report for the year 2022 (SKA22) co-ordinated by The Swedish Forest Agency.
Prevously I have worked on a project titled Sustainable Future Use of European Forests for Developing the Bioeconomy (Future Bioecon) in Swedish Species Information Centre, SLU Uppsala. In this project we simulated and optimized the sustainability performance of forest-based, other renewable and non-renewable raw material-based value chains to inform policy decisions. This project was a collaboration between SLU, Department of biological and environmental sciences University of Jyväskyla, International Institute of Applied System Analysis (IIASA) and InForest Research unit; Forestry science centre of Catalonia.
I teach in various english and Swedish courses in forest management. I am responsible for the "Heureka och modeller" module in the online master programme Skogsbruks med många mål (Forestry for multiple goals). I also teach in the international master programme Euroforester in the course "Planning in sustainable forest management".
PhD in Forest mangement
Project title: Impacts of climate change on forest management and implications for Swedish forestry
Responsibilities: Investigating the impact of future climate change on growth and yield of important tree species in Swedish forestry sector and how their silvicultural management has to be planned in future in order to maximize benefits from future climate and to reduce uncertainties due to risk factors.
Organisation: Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp.
Master degree: Erasmus Mundus Masters in European Forestry (August 2008 - December 2010)
Organisation: University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu and Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp.
Bachelor degree: Bachelor of Science Forestry (June 2002- April 2006)
Organisation: Forest College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India.
Master thesis Supervision
- Haidi, A. (ongoing). Är megahyggen det enda sättet att bruka?
- Getahun, T.G. (2013). Evaluation of process based model 3-PG for simulation of net primary production of Picea abies in northern and southern regions of Sweden under climate change. Diss.: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Rashid, M.A. (2013). Simulating the effect of thinning treatments on soil carbon stocks in Norway spruce in southern Sweden. . Diss. Alnarp, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural sciences.
Student project supervision
1. Supervising student groups for prepartion of tactical planning in Östads Säteri estate in Sweden. This is within the course “ Planning in Sustainable Forest Management” within the International Euroforester Master programme, Swedish University of Agricultural sciences during 2012-2015.
2. Guest lecturer in the course “Planning in Sustainable Forest Management” and “National and International Forest Policy” within the International Euroforester Master programme, Swedish University of Agricultural sciences during 2012-2015.
Publikationer i urval
- Hahn, T., Eggers, J., Subramanian, N., Torano, C. A., Uhl, E., & Snäll, T. (accepted). Specified resilience value of alternative forest management adaptations to storms. Scand. J. For. Science.
- Siipilehto, J., Allen, M., Nilsson, U., Brunner, A., Huuskonen, S., Haikarainen, S., Subramanian, N., Antón-Fernández, C., Holmström, E., Andreassen, K., & Hynynen, J. (2020). Stand-level mortality models for Nordic boreal forests. Silva Fennica, 54(5). https://doi.org/§
- Subramanian, N., Nilsson, U., Mossberg, M., & Bergh, J. (2019). Impacts of climate change, weather extremes and alternative strategies in managed forests. Écoscience, 26(1), 53–70. https://doi.org/10.1080/11956860.2018.1515597
- Subramanian, N. (2016). Impacts of climate change on forest management and implications for Swedish forestry. Diss. Alnarp, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural sciences
- Subramanian, N., Bergh, J., Johansson, U., Nilsson, U. & Sallnäs, O. (2016). Adaptation of forest management regimes in southern Sweden to increased risk associated with climate change. Forests, 7(1), s. 18.
- Subramanian, N., Karlsson, P.E., Bergh, J. & Nilsson, U. (2015). Impact of Ozone on Sequestration of Carbon by Swedish Forests under a Changing Climate: A Modeling Study. Forest Science, 61(3), ss. 445-457.
- Subramanian, N. (2010). Simulation of Net Primary Production (NPP) of Picea abies in southern Sweden: An analysis based on three forest growth models. Diss. Alnarp, Sweden
- Subramanian, N. Long-term forest landscape simulations with 3PG-Heureka hybrid model. In: Proceedings of SNS Growth and Yield Network Conference, Simlångsdalen, Halmstad, Sweden, June 16-18, 2015.
- Subramanian, N. Hybrid forest Model: Combining processes of tree growth based on Light Use Efficiency model, 3-PG and management activities based on Decision Support System, Heureka-regwise. In: Proceedings of Workshop on Silviculture in Changing Environment, Kirkkonummi, Finland, November 24-25, 2014.
- Bergh, J., Subramanian, N., Johansson, U., Nilsson, U. & Sallnäs, O. Adaptation of forest management as an effect of climate change and increased risk. In: Proceedings of Climate change and forestry in northern Europe, Uppsala, November 11-13, 2013.
- Subramanian, N., Karlsson, P.-E., Bergh, J. & Nilsson, U. Impacts of Ozone on Carbon sequestration by Swedish Forests: A modeling study. In: Proceedings of 2ND IUFRO Conference on Complex Forest Ecosystems/Southern Mensurationists Meeting, New Orleans, LA, USA, October 7-9, 2013.
- Subramanian, N., Bergh Johan., Nilsson Urban. Simulation of Net Primary Production(NPP) of Picea abies in southern Sweden- A comparison between two process based forest growth models. I: Pötzelberger, E., Mäkelä, A., Mohren, G., Palahi, M., Tome, M., Hasenauer, H. (ed.) In: Proceedings of COST FP0603 Spring school: Modelling Forest Ecosystems-Concepts, Data and Application, Kaprun, Austria 2011: University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, May 9-13, 2011.