The common denominator for most of my research is systems thinking and the use of quantitative models and simulation. Broadly speaking, my main reseach foci are:
- forest planning problems (assessment of forest production possibilities of various goods and services - trade-off assessments - at different spatial scales, effects of data-uncertainty on management decisions)
- forest planning/ policy problems ("green infrastructure" implementation and spatial forest planning in general, cost distribution of conservation measures among forest owners and in relation to property size, types of private forest properties)
- forest management problems ( assessments of silvicultural alternatives, such as mixed species stands, shelterwood and gap cutting systems at stand to regional levels)
- methodology of forest scenario modelling
- development of forest simulation tools
- socio-ecological systems and resilience thinking applied to forestry
My research effort has mainly been divided between methodological developments (models, simulation tools, scenario methodologies) and substantive questions related to specific landscapes, silvicultural methods or data types (model-based extrapolation of silvicultural experiments, or purely model-based assessments). I hope that my research may contribute to better decision making in forest management and support forest policy development.
My broader science-related interests include science-policy interactions, political economy, statistical inference and philosophy of science and knowledge.
I have been involved in several larger collaborative research projects such as development of the European Forestry Dynamics Model (in partnership with JRC, LUKE and ENFIN), the 7-th FP project INTEGRAL, the Horizon 2020 project DIABOLO, the ongoing Formas project ForestPath, and the competence centre Trees For Me.
I have extenisve experience of operating forest simulation/ decision support tools such as LandSim, EFDM and Heureka.
Between 2016 and 2022, I lead a 15ECTS Master level course "Planning in sustainable forestry".
Publikationer i urval
Find my up-to-date list of publications on www.researchgate.net