Here are the maps
The peat map is now available for the whole country except in some coastal areas where it cannot be retrieved and in some mountain areas that were not laser scanned when it was developed. This has taken place through a collaboration between SLU, the Swedish Forest Agency, Formas and the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.
The maps can be downloaded via the forest data lab's file server at SLU. (link to http://18.104.22.168:5000/fsdownload/PPqHZo3fk/Skogsdatalab_free).The maps can be downloaded via the forest data lab's FTP at skogstyrelssen: Address: ftps://ftpsks.skogsstyrelsen.se Username: skogsdatalabbet Password: 9RLuQ*2vzr. To download data recommend using an FTP client, such as Filezilla or WinSCP
As the peat map files are large (46GB in total), it may be easiest to view the maps online. The maps are available in the forest data lab's map portal Nationellt Skogsdatalabb - Betaversion (skogsstyrelsen.se) and in the Swedish Forestry Agency's open maps Kartor (skogsstyrelsen.se).
You can also add the maps to your own GIS by using the forest data lab's geodata services
The forest data lab's geodata services
To use the services, you need a user account, which you can order here
Skaffa användarkonto - Skogsstyrelsen
For those who want to download the map in their own GIS, the thickness of the organic layer and the classified peat map can be downloaded via the following tools:
- The maps can be downloaded via the forest data lab's file server at SLU. (link to http://22.214.171.124:5000/fsdownload/PPqHZo3fk/Skogsdatalab_free.
- The maps can be downloaded via the forest data lab's FTP at skogstyrelssen:
- Address: ftps://ftpsks.skogsstyrelsen.se
- Username: skogsdatalabbet
- Password: 9RLuQ*2vzr
- To download data recommend using an FTP client, such as Filezilla or WinSCP
- Employees and students at 29 universities and colleges can also download the maps via SLU's download service GET (this service will only be activated at the end of January 2024)
Descriptions of the maps
The documentation regarding soil moisture maps explains how the maps are calculated and how they can be interpreted. There is also a product description and a technical description of the maps.