The following page provides some tips on how to compose academic texts.
Tips and resources for academic writing
- Academic Phrasebank (University of Manchester)
Here you can get tips on how to craft scientific texts. This database includes, among other things, concrete examples of how to express yourself when presenting a problematic issue, or how to describe different methods.
- AWELU, Academic Writing at Lund University.
Lund University provides a comprehensive guide to academic writing in English.
- Paradigm: Online Writing Assistant Contains general tips on writing as well as a specific guide for writing a thesis.
- Scriptor from Uppsala University offers tricks that will help you become a better writer.
- University of Kansa's Writing Guides Here you will for example find information on writing an abstract or editing and proofreading.
- Writing guide
Here you will find practical advice on the writing process, how to publish your thesis and how to handle references. It's a good page to start with when you begin the writing process.
- Writing in English at University
Open web resources by Lund University.
If you would prefer to read a book about the academic writing process, we suggest that you take a look at How to write and publish a scientific paper by Robert A. Day and Barbara Gastel (2011).
If you would like to use a smartohone app then Academic Writing in English ( AWE) is a complete course on academic writing that you can download for free to your iOS or Android device.
Popular science writing
For general thoughts on how to go about writng a popular science text, take a look at the page Popular Science Writing from Lund University (in English). There you can read more about catching your reader's attention and some useful stylistic tricks.
Popular science summary
The Faculty of Engineering (Lund University) have made a useful compilation on the characteristics of a popular science summary. It's written for phd-students publishing their dissertation, but the advice is applicable on student papers as well. Keep in mind that a popular science summary is diffrent from an abstract. Read more on how to write an abstract on the page A paper's components.