You are responsible for registering your thesis in the SLU publication database SLUpub along with a file for open access publishing. On this page you will find detailed information about the publishing process.
As the author, you are responsible for formatting your thesis, choosing an open license, arranging the printing and registering it in SLUpub with a file for open access.
Formatting your thesis
- Doctoral theses shall be a part of the series Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae, ISSN 1652-6880.
- Doctoral theses shall have two ISBN numbers, one for the printed version and one for the electronic version, and a number in the Acta series.
- Doctoral theses must be formatted using the SLU document template for doctoral theses which contains templates for:
- Summary part (Kappan)
- Notice of dissertation
- Back cover text
- Errata list
- There is no template for the front cover since it will be designed by the print shop. If you want an illustration for the front it should be sent to the print shop with the other files. You may discuss the size of the illustration with the print shop. If you use an illustration to which copyright restrictions apply, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner before your thesis is printed.
- Published articles should be sent as the publisher pdf. Read the publishers' contracts to find out if you are permitted to print published articles in your thesis. Please contact the library if you are unsure.
- Licentiate theses are not published in the Acta series. There is no SLU series for licentiate theses, although some department have such or publish them in their report series. Check with your department what applies.
- Licentiate theses shall have two ISBN numbers, one for the printed version and one for the electronic version.
- You are free to use the SLU document templates for theses but it is not mandatory. If your licentiate thesis is part of a departmental series you should follow departmental guidelines.
Joint or double degree thesis
- Joint and double degree theses shall be a part of the series Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae, ISSN 1652-6880.
- Joint and double degree theses shall have two ISBN numbers, one for the printed version and one for the electronic version, and a number in the Acta series.
- The cover can if needed be adapted to requirements from partner universities but the following must be present:
- The SLU logo on the front cover.
- The Acta series name and number on the front cover.
- The Acta series ISSN and two ISBN must be visible somewhere on the front pages.
- It must be clearly stated that the thesis is the result of a joint degree education and which universities are involved somewhere on the front pages.
- Place of publication somewhere on the front pages.
Printing your thesis
For printing, send the different parts of your thesis in separate files to Grafisk service:
- Summary part (Kappan) in pdf
- Papers in pdf
- Notice of dissertation in pdf
- Back cover text in .doc (word)
- Front cover illustration in .tif or .jpg (where applicable)
- Errata in pdf (where applicable)
Your thesis should be printed three weeks before the dissertation at the latest. Please make sure to contact the print shop well in advance:
Printed copies to the SLU library and registrar:
You are required to deliver the correct number of printed copies of your thesis (including notice of dissertation) to the SLU University Library and registrar three weeks before the dissertation at the latest. The number of copies varies depending on the faculty:
- NJ Faculty: 3 copies of the thesis at the library in Uppsala and 1 copy at the Registrar office, Box 7070, 750 07 Uppsala
- VH Faculty: 4 copies of the thesis at the library in Uppsala and 1 copy at the Registrar office, Box 7070, 750 07 Uppsala.
- S Faculty: 4 copies of the thesis at the library at the campus where the dissertation takes place and 1 copy at the Registrar office, 901 83 Umeå.
- LTV Faculty: 2 copies of the thesis at the library in Alnarp and 1 copy at the Registrar office, Box 190, 234 22 Lomma.
Registering and uploading your thesis in SLUpub
When the thesis is approved and printed, you will receive a complete pdf from the printing office which includes front and back and all included articles. It is this file that you upload when you register the thesis in SLU's publication database. Please make sure to register and upload your thesis as soon as possible. It must be available online three weeks before the public defence of your thesis, therefore it needs to be registered in SLUpub at least a few days before that time.
The library will check which articles you may make openly available according to the copyright and cut out the articles that cannot be published as below:
- The summary (kappan) is always published, because you as the author have the full copyright to this.
- Articles published open access with a Creative Commons license are always published.
- Articles that are not published open access with a license will be checked by the library and made openly available when possible.
- Articles with status submitted or unpublished are cut out and not published electronically to avoid future journal publication problems. If you as an author want to publish these anyway, you can contact the library.
- Monograph theses are published in their entirety. If your thesis is published with a commercial publisher, you must make sure they also permit electronic publishing.