This guide will show you how to create a DMPonline account and set up a data management plan to help you manage your data and meet the requirements of research funders and the SLU data management policy.
DMPonline is a web-based tool for data management plans (DMPs). It is free to all SLU staff and comes with templates compatible with the requirements of most major funders.
DMPs created in DMPonline are stored online for easy access and sharing, and can be exported and saved locally (e.g. as pdf, docx, csv).
SLU provides two templates that can be used when creating new DMPs. They meet the requirements of e.g. VR, Formas, Horizon Europe, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond, the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency and SLU (in accordance with SLU's data management policy).
Create an account
The first time you use DMPonline you will need to create an account.
- Go to the 'Create account' tab.
- Fill in the form. Use your SLU email address and enter 'Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences' as your organisation. This will link your DMPonline account to your SLU-AD account.
- Click on 'Create account'.
You can now access DMPonline with your SLU login or your email and the password you have chosen for DMPonline.
Once you have created an account, you can log in to DMPonline using your SLU credentials (i.e. AD username + password), or your SLU email address and the password you chose when you created your account.
To log in using your SLU credentials:
- Go to dmponline.slu.se
- Go to the 'Sign in' tab.
- Click on 'Sign in with your institutional credentials'.
- Enter 'SLU', select 'SLU' in the 'Enter the name of your organisation' field and click 'Continue'. Or, if you have logged in recently, click on the SLU logo.
- Use your SLU-AD account details to log in to DMPonline.
To log in with your email and DMP password:
- Go to dmponline.slu.se.
- Go to the 'Sign in' tab.
- Enter your email address and DMP password.
Create a new DMP
Once you have logged in, you can create your data management plan.
- Go to the 'Create plans' tab.
- Enter the name of your project.
- The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences is the research organisation for most projects, so this field is already filled in.
- Tick the box 'No funder associated with this plan or my funder is not listed'.
- Select a template. Either 'SLU-HorizonEurope' for Horizon Europe projects or 'SLU-General' for others (including Formas, VR and Environmental Assessment and Monitoring projects). See 'Using templates' below for more information.
- Click on the 'Create plan'-button.
- The plan will be created, but before you start working with it, uncheck 'Digital Curation Centre' (under 'Select Guidance' on the right) and click 'Save'. When using the SLU templates, SLU-specific tips and help text are available. General SLU advice is also available under the 'Plan Overview' tab.
- Use the instructions in DMPonline to complete the mandatory fields in the 'Write Plan' tab.
Good luck! And remember, you can always contact DMS if you need help with your data management plan. See 'Support at SLU' and 'How to request feedback in DMPonline' further down this page.
There are two templates that have been developed by SLU. They have been designed to meet the criteria of the major Swedish funders. To select one of the two SLU templates available, tick the 'No funder associated with this plan or my funder is not listed' box (see screengrab below).
Screengrab of DMPOnline. When the "No funder..." box is ticked, the SLU templates becomes available.
Meets the requirements of VR, Formas, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond and the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency. Should also be used for SLU-funded projects and projects where the funders don't have requirements for DMPs or DMP formats.
Meets the requirements of Horizon Europe.
Please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have funding from a funder not listed below and have questions about writing a DMP.
Request feedback in DMPonline
Go to the 'Request feedback' tab and click 'Request feedback'. Your plan will then be made available to a member of SLU's Data Management Support (DMS) team who will review your plan and respond with comments.
If the data management plan is part of a grant application and you need a quick response, please contact DMS (email@example.com).
Edit an existing plan
My Dashboard lists the plans you have created and the plans that others have shared with you. You can edit a plan by selecting 'Edit' (under 'Actions').
Download your plan
Go to the 'Download' tab and select the file format you wish to download. Depending on the format selected, there are different options, such as whether or not to include unanswered questions.
Share your plan
If you want to share your plan with someone, select the 'Share' tab, fill in the required information and click 'Submit'. The person you share your plan with must have a DMPonline account to view it.
You can also share your DMP openly, either fully open to everyone or to everyone logged in with an SLU account. This is done by selecting the appropriate options under the heading 'Set plan visibility' in the 'Share' tab.
Fully open DMPs can be found here: Public DMPs.
DMP registration and archiving
A DMP should be registered in SLU's case and records management system Public 360, together with the other administrative documents of the project it relates to (proposal, contract etc.).
Registration and archiving are carried out by the person responsible for registration and archiving in the departmental administration ("RA-rollen"). Instructions can be found in Public 360:
Recorded webinar: Get started with your data management plan
DMS has recorded introductory webinars on data management plans that can help you get started in DMPonline.
- Recording of the webinar in Swedish (from 6 December 2022) at SLU Play: Kom igång med din datahanteringsplan
- Recording of the webinar in English (from 7 December 2022) at SLU Play: Get started with your data management plan.
Help us improve this guide
Did you find this guide useful? Is there anything missing, or is there another aspect of data management you would like guidance on? Please let us know!