I have a background in environmental engineering with a focus on sanitation and wastewater management. My PhD studied planning and decision-making processes for sanitation systems, primarily in West Africa. Since then, I have continued research related to sanitation and planning, with an increasing focus on resource recovery. I work with concepts of sustainability, life-cycle thinking, participation, serious gaming and decision-support frameworks to better understand and shape planning processes.
I am currently involved in the following research projects:
Co-supervisor for PhD students
- Solveig Johannesdottir: Sustainability assessment of eco-innovations for nutrient-recovery from wastewater, SLU (on-going)
- Claudia Cossio Grageda: Wastewater treatment and management in small towns in Bolivia, Chalmers University of Technology (on-going)
- Ida Helgegren: The prevalence and adoption of water and sanitation systems in urban and peri-urban areas of Cochabamba, Bolivia, Chalmers University of Technology (on-going)
Supervision of MSc students
- Elin Åkerlund (on-going): Prerequisites for implementation of source-separated wastewater systems
- Katja Norlin & Isabelle Wahlund (2017): Communication for acceptance of nutrient recycling from wastewater systems – a case study of the transition area Munga.
- Maria Nilsson (2014): Socio-technical evaluation of urine diversion in Linköping and Norrköping, Chalmers University of Technology
- Saga Perron (2012): Microbial regrowth in Drinking Water Treated with Gravity-Driven Ultrafiltration - A Field Study in Kenya, Uppsala University
- Melissa Nangle (2007): Sustainable low cost wastewater technology for poor coastal communities: a case study of White Horses, Pamphret & Botany Bay, Jamaica, KTH
Total 37 publication, h-index 9
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
Ramôa AR, McConville J, Lüthi C, & Matos JS. (2017) Use of process guides for comprehensive urban sanitation technology decision-making: practice versus theory. Water Policy, DOI: 10.2166/wp.2017.117.
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Jönsson H, Kärrman, E. & Johansson, M. (2017) Is the Swedish wastewater sector ready for a transition to source separation? Desalination and Water Treatment, DOI: 10.5004/dwt.2017.20881.
Cossio, C, McConville, J., Rauch, S., Wilén, BM., Dalahmeh, S., Mercado, A., & Romero AM. (2017). Wastewater management in small towns – Understanding the failure of small treatment plants in Bolivia. Environmental Technology, DOI: 10.1080/09593330.2017.1330364
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Jönsson H, Kärrman, E. & Johansson, M. (2017) Source Separation: Challenges & Opportunities for Transition in the Swedish Wastewater Sector. Resources Conservation and. Recycling, 120:144–156.
McConville, J.R., Rauch, S., Helgegren, I. & Kain, J-H. (2017) Using Role-playing Games to Broaden Engineering Education. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 18(4), pp. 594-607.
Ramôa, A., Lüthi, C., McConville, J. & Matos, J. (2016). Urban sanitation technology decision-making in developing countries: a critical analysis of process guides. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, ISSN: 1946-3138.
McConville, J.R., Tidåker, P., Drangert, J-O., Neset, T.S., Rauch, S., Stride, I., Tonderski, K.S. (2015) Closing the food loop – guidelines and criteria for improving nutrient management. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy, 11(2).
McConville, J., Kunzle, R., Messmer, U., Udert, K. M., & Larsen, T .A. (2014) Decision Support for Redesigning Wastewater Treatment Technologies. Environmental Science & Technology, 48(20), 12238-12246.
McConville, J., Kain, J.H., Kvarnström, E. & Ulrich, L. (2014) Participation in Sanitation Planning in Burkina Faso: Theory and Practice. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 4(2), 304-312.
McConville, J., Kain, J., Kvarnström, E. & Renman, G. (2011) Bridging sanitation engineering and planning: theory and practice in Burkina Faso. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 1(3), 205-212.
Kvarnström, E., McConville, J., Bracken, P., Johansson, M. & Fogde, M. (2011) The Sanitation Ladder – a Need for a Revamp? Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 1(1), 3-12.
Luethi, C., McConville, J., & Kvarnström, E. (2010) Community-based approaches for addressing the urban sanitation challenge. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, 1(1-2), 49-63.
McConville, J.R. & Mihelcic, J.R. (2007). Adapting Life Cycle Thinking Tools to Evaluate Project Sustainability in International Water and Sanitation Development Work. Environmental Engineering Science, 24 (7), 937-948.
Andersson, K., Rosemarin, A., Lamizana, B., Kvarnström, E., McConville, J., Seidu, R., Dickin, S. and Trimmer, C. (2016). Sanitation, Wastewater Management and Sustainability: from Waste Disposal to Resource Recovery. Nairobi and Stockholm: United Nations Environment Programme and Stockholm Environment Institute.
Rosemarin, A., McConville, J., Flores, A., & Qiang, Z. (2012) The Challenges of Urban Ecological Sanitation: Lessons from the Erdos Eco-Town Project. Practical Action Publishing: Warwickshire, UK.
McConville, J. (2010): Unpacking Sanitation Planning – Comparing Theory and Practice. PhD Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Lüthi, C., Panasar, A., Schütze, T., Norström, A., McConville, J., Parkinson, J., Saywell, D., & Ingle, R. (2010). Sustainable Sanitation in Cities: A Framework for Action. Papiroz Publishing House: Rijswiik, The Netherlands.