PNS0178 Statistics I: Basic Statistics, 4.0 Credits
Pass / Failed
The objective of the course is to give an introduction to basic probability theory and statistical inference. On completion of the course, the student will be able to:
• apply basic probability concepts and statistical principles and formulate a problem in statistical terms
• describe common statistical methods including conditions and assumptions
• select an appropriate statistical method for a given problem
• carry out a basic statistical analysis in the statistical software R or SAS
• interpret and evaluate results correctly and draw reasonable conclusions
• clearly and concisely communicate results and conclusions
The course is built on lectures and computer exercises. The main components are as follows:
• Descriptive statistics.
• Basic probability theory.
• Probability distributions.
• Statistical inference of means and proportions, one and two samples.
• Nonparametric methods.
• Analysis of frequency data.
Department of Energy and Technology