Soil structure and soil functions; soil hydrology; plant-soil interactions, especially root water uptake; solute transport in the unsaturated zone, especially the impacts of preferential flow and transport processes; pesticide fate and behaviour in soils; development and application of numerical simulation models and risk assessment tools.
Ten selected recent publications
- Klöffel, T., Jarvis, N., Yoon, S-W., Barron, J., Giménez, D. 2022. Relative entropy as an index of soil structure. European Journal of Soil Science, 73, e13254.
- Jarvis, N., Groh, J., Lewan, E., Meurer, K., Durka, W., Baessler, C., Pütz, T., Rufullayev, E., Vereecken, H. 2022. Coupled modelling of hydrological processes and grassland production in two contrasting climates. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 26, 2277-2299.
- Meurer, K., Chenu, C., Coucheney, E., Herrmann, A., Keller, T., Kätterer, T., Nimblad Svensson, D., Jarvis, N. 2020. Modelling dynamic interactions between soil structure and the storage and turnover of soil organic matter. Biogeosciences, 17, 5025-5042.
- Robinson, D., Hopmans, J., Filipovic, V., van der Ploeg, M., Lebron, I., Jones, S., Reinsch, S., Jarvis, N., Tuller, M. 2019. Gobal environmental changes impact soil hydraulic functions through biophysical feedbacks. Global Change Biology, 25, 1895-1904.
- Sandin, M., Piikki, K., Jarvis, N., Larsbo, M., Bishop, K., Kreuger, J. 2018. Spatial and temporal patterns of pesticide concentrations in streamflow, drainage and runoff in a small Swedish agricultural catchment. Science of the Total Environment, 610, 623-634.
- Jarvis, N.J., Larsbo, M. & Koestel, J. 2017. Connectivity and percolation of structural pore networks in a cultivated silt loam soil quantified by X-ray tomography. Geoderma, 287, 71-79.
- Jarvis, N., Koestel, J. & Larsbo, M. 2016. Understanding preferential flow in the vadose zone: recent advances and future prospects. Vadose Zone Journal, doi:10.2136/vzj2016.09.0075
- Larsbo, M., Koestel, J., Jarvis, N. 2014. Relations between macropore network characteristics and the degree of preferential solute transport. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18, 5255-5269.
- Jarvis, N., Koestel, J., Messing, I., Moeys, J., Lindahl, A. 2013. Influence of soil, land use and climatic factors on the hydraulic conductivity of soil. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17, 5185-5195.
- Jarvis, N.J. 2011. Simple physics-based models of compensatory plant water uptake: concepts and eco-hydrological consequences. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 15, 3431-3446.