Department of Animal Environment and Health, HMH department office
Karin Wallin, Experiment Technician
Department of Animal Environment and Health, Division of Production Systems
The environmental management system at SLU in Skara with associated Götala nut and lamb meat research and Lanna research station.
SLU Skara's operations conduct an active environmental work according to an environmental management system certified in accordance with ISO 14001. Since November 2012, SLU in Skara has an environmental management system that is certified according to ISO 14001: 2004. As of October 2015, Skara is certified according to the environmental standard 14001: 2015. The aim of an environmental management system is to ensure that environmental legislation (and other requirements and rules with environmental impact) is respected and that the environmental performance of the business is continually improved.
The two main objectives of establishing an environmental management system are:
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation and other environment-related rules.
- The business is constantly improving so that its environmental impact decreases.
If you have an idea of how our environmental work can be improved, or if you want to call attention to something that does not conform with our procedures, you can report the matter in our reporting system (link below). The purpose of reporting non-conformities or leaving improvement proposals is to counter any shortcomings and errors and to help us to constantly improve our environmental performance. All employees and students can contribute.
Report an environmental matter >>
In practice, the certification means to systematize, clarify and document the SLU-site Skara's environmental impact, environmental policy, operational routines and the continuous work to improve our environmental impact according to the principle:
SLU's environmental policy was adopted in 2011 and concerns the following:
"SLU will contribute to ecological, social and economically sustainable development. Environmental thinking and environmental aspects shall be integrated into all decision-making and all activities within all SLU's work units. applicable environmental legislation as a basis."
SLU in Skara works with research, education and collaboration on animals, environment and rural production issues.
We will contribute to ecologically, socially and economically sustainable development in accordance with the country's national environmental goals.
Environmental thinking and environmental aspects must be integrated into all decision-making and all activities.
Our environmental work is based on continuous improvements with existing environmental legislation as a basis.
SLU Skara's environmental goals:
◾ Decrease SLU Skara's negative impact on the environment and natural resources
- By maintaining / reducing current energy consumption with the help of continued energy mapping of the various activities' energy consumption.
- Increase the proportion of purchases in SLU's e-commerce system Proceedo, which holds procured consumables and services marked with "good environmental choice". The implementation is carried out by means of a continuous follow-up of the statistics regarding the use of procurement of goods and services in Proceedo. Further information on the importance of trading goods and services through Proceedo will be given to staff of purchasing managers at central level.
- No domestic flights by air should be included in SLU Skara's operations starting January 1, 2019 and closing date December 31, 2021.
- Maintain / reduce current energy consumption in SLU Skara's new premises. End date March 2021
◾ Increase SLU Skara's positive environmental impact
- Increase the knowledge of research students on sustainable development by examining the proportion of doctoral students who believe that they have gained better knowledge in the area
- Increase SLU Skara's share of web-based courses by 100% with start year 2015. End date December 2018
- Increase the number of students / participants taking part in Skara produced web-based courses with start year 2015. End date December 2018.
- That at least one activity during the year communicates the environmental benefit of the research or investments / infrastructure that generated environmental benefit starting January 2017. End date December 2019.
The environmental handbook a “virtual guide”, a collection of documents which together form the basis for the environmental management system. The handbook has no legal status and is only a compilation of documents. It explains how to carry out environment work. It contains descriptions of the environmental objectives, environmentally damaging activities, who does what in various parts of our operations as well as key procedures on environmental consideration and emergency preparedness. An environmental handbook is a requirement under the ISO 14001 standard.
Link to the handbook
Environmental Objective 1 (Reduce SLU Skara's negative impact on the environment and natural resources)
Environmental Objective 2 (Increase SLU Skara's positive environmental impact)
SLU in Skara works actively to increase the positive environmental impact. For example, by offering courses and courses that increase the students' knowledge of sustainable development and the opportunity for the staff to share courses / lectures / information that concern current environmental goals and improvements in the different areas of activity.
Read more about SLU's overall environmental work at Medarbetarwebben.
Only in Swedish
External audit October 10-12: report
External audit October 10-12: agenda
External audit October 10-12: audit report
Internal audit April 12: audit report
External audit October 10-11: report
External audit October 10-11: presentation
External audit October 10-11: agenda
Internal audit September 5: audit report
External audit October 11-12: report
External audit October 11-12: presentation
External audit October 11-12: agenda
Internal audit September 6: audit report
External audit October 20-21: report
External audit October 20-21: presentation
External audit October 20-21: agenda
Internal audit September 3: audit report
External audit October 16-17: report
External audit October 16-17: presentation
External audit October 16-17: agenda
Internal audit September 4: audit report
External audit October 15-16: report
External audit October 15-16: presentation
External audit October 15-16: agenda
Internal audit September 12: audit report
External audit October 8-11: report
External audit October 8-11: agenda
Internal audit September 13: audit report
Om så önskas kan rapporter, revisionsrapporter, presentationer och dagordningar som ej är länkade, att fås genom miljösamordnare Karin Wallin, (Institutionen för husdjurens miljö och hälsa), tel 0511-671 38
All interested parties are warmly welcome to contact the environmental coordinator to obtain further information about the local environmental work.
Further information about SLU's main purposes of establishing an environmental management system can be found here.