Clinical Training and Nursing 1
Information from the course leader
Välkomna till er första verksamhetsförlagda utbildning! Kursinformation och bilagor till kursinformationen kommer ni att hitta i ert Canvasrum. Mvh Stina
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
Additional course evaluations for DO0102
Academic year 2019/2020Clinical Training and Nursing 1 (DO0102-40122) 2020-03-25 - 2020-06-07
Academic year 2018/2019Clinical Training and Nursing 1 (DO0102-40088) 2019-03-26 - 2019-06-09
DO0102 Clinical Training and Nursing 1, 15.0 CreditsSjukvårdslära och verksamhetsförlagd utbildning 1
Education cycleBachelor’s level
|Clinical training, period 1||7.00||1002|
|Clinical training, period 2||7.00||1003|
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, at least 60 credits from first-cycle courses as entry requirements(G2F)
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to 80 credits within Veterinary Nursing.
ObjectivesThe course intends to make the student familiar with the practical parts that are included in the work of a veterinary nurse in an animal hospital/clinic.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- perform elements of a hygienic nature that will prevent infection and disease transmission,
- use appropriate techniques at the medication, handling and feeding of animals,
- assist at treatments,
- apply appropriate techniques in anaesthesia and operating theatre routines,
- use current technology within image diagnostics,
- use appropriate sampling techniques and perform simple laboratory analyses,
- use established systems for documentation and medical records keeping.
ContentWorking methods, environments and medical issues are highlighted from a nursing perspective. This takes place via practical skills training at animal hospitals and clinics and through a prescribed individual presentation. The practical elements make it possible for the student to apply their theoretical knowledge in veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine. The internship furthermore gives possibilities for personal development of the communicative and informative skills of the student. The individual presentation gives the student the opportunity to theorize and deepen their understanding of the practical elements of the course and this is presented orally and in written form.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved individual presentation, compulsory parts and approved participation in compulsory clinical teaching.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationDiscontinued practice
A student may receive a fail grade and be stopped from participating in the practical training with living animals if there is a tangible risk that the student, through severe incompetence, could injure animals, other persons, themselves, or valuable property if they continued to participate in the practical training. An individual action plan will be prescribed for the student and served to them in writing. The plan will be established by the department responsible for the course after consultation with a study counselor and the student concerned. This plan, which is decided by the programme director of studies, should indicate which deficiencies in knowledge and skills the student has, which kind of support the student can receive from the department, and when a control can take place that the deficiencies have been resolved. The plan will also specify how this control will be carried out. Each student has the right to a maximum of two control occasions, but no more than one per year. The student may not take part in practical training with living animals until the programme director of studies has controlled and confirmed that the student has the knowledge and skills that are required.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Clinical Sciences
Lärandemål 1: Utföra moment av hygienisk karaktär som förhindrar smitta och smittspridning
Lärandemål 2: Använda lämplig teknik vid medicinering, djurhantering och utfodring av djur.
Lärandemål 3: Assistera vid behandlingar.
Lärandemål 4: Tillämpa lämplig teknik vid anestesi och operationssalsrutiner.
Lärandemål 5: Använda aktuell teknik inom bilddiagnostik.
Lärandemål 6: Använda lämplig provtagningsteknik och utföra enklare laboratorieanalyser.
Lärandemål 7: Använda vedertagna system för dokumentation och journalföring
För godkänd kurs krävs: Godkänd närvaro + inlämnad momentlista från kliniken och godkänd diskussionsuppgift på Canvas samt inlämnad utvärdering verksamhetsförlagd utbildningsplats.