Agricultural and rural history
Additional course evaluations for LB0092
Academic year 2021/2022Agricultural and rural history (LB0092-20129) 2021-11-02 - 2021-12-02
Academic year 2020/2021Agricultural and rural history (LB0092-20128) 2020-11-02 - 2020-12-02
Academic year 2019/2020Agricultural and rural history (LB0092-20067) 2019-11-01 - 2019-12-03
Academic year 2018/2019Agricultural and rural history (LB0092-20104) 2018-11-06 - 2018-12-06
Academic year 2017/2018Agricultural and rural history (LB0092-20022) 2017-10-31 - 2017-11-30
LB0092 Agricultural and rural history, 7.5 CreditsJordbrukets och landsbygdens historia
SubjectsAgricultural science Rural Development
Education cycleBachelor’s level
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, entry requirements only from upper secondary school(G1N)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeGeneral entry requirements.
ObjectivesThe course intends to give the students a broad understanding of the history of agriculture and rural areas until today, which inter alia are central to understand the relations of today, problems and possibilities in rural areas.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- give an overview of the historical development of Swedish rural areas and agriculture until today
- explain the roles of the agriculture and the rural area in connection with industrialisation and urbanisation, with an emphasis on Sweden
ContentIn the course, the development of agriculture and rural areas is treated, with an emphasis on Sweden with special focus on the time period from the later part of the 19th century and until today.
At lectures, exercises and seminars, the natural preconditions for agriculture and rural conditions, social and economic aspects, livelihoods and production of rural areas are treated. Driving forces behind changes within agriculture and on rural areas also constitute an important part of the course. Among the exercises, studies of landscapes and settlements are included and a project work, in groups, where the students are trained to work in archives with the aim to increase the understanding of individual persons lives and local social structures. Continuous examination during the course, orally and in writing in different forms. At compulsory seminars, scientific articles about Swedish and international relations and fictional descriptions linked to the history of the agriculture and the rural area are discussed.
The course connects to a following course, the same semester where the subject of agricultural and rural history is also included as a continuation and interconnection with themes in the following course.
Formats and requirements for examinationPassed written tests, passed tasks and approved participation in compulsory components.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Responsible departmentDepartment of Urban and Rural Development
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom naturresurser och jordbruk (PN - NJ)
Replaces: LK0226, LB0084, LB0088
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
The course is offered as an independent course: Yes The course is offered as a programme course: Agriculture Programme - Economics and Management Agriculture Programme - Economics and Management (270 hec) Agriculture Programme - Rural Development Rural Development - Societal Change Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 19027 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Agricultural science Rural DevelopmentCourse code: LB0092 Application code: SLU-20058 Location: Uppsala Distance course: No Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Urban and Rural Development Pace: 100%