Advanced, sustainable construction and maintenance of outdoor environment
I den här kursen får du fördjupade färdigheter i att projektera och förvalta utemiljöer och en fördjupad förståelse för hela processen från ett befintligt gestaltningsförslag till färdig plats och dess framtida skötsel ur ett hållbarhetsperspektiv.
The course evaluation is now closed
Once the evaluation is closed, the course coordinator and student representative have 1 month to draft their comments. The comments will be published in the evaluation report.
LK0409 Advanced, sustainable construction and maintenance of outdoor environment, 15.0 CreditsHållbar markprojektering och skötsel, fortsättningskurs
Education cycleBachelor’s level
|Detailed drawing 2||6.0||0102|
|Landscape management and quality control||4.5||0103|
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements(G2F)
5:Pass with Distinction, 4:Pass with Credit, 3:Pass, U:Fail The requirements for attaining different grades are described in the course assessment criteria which are contained in a supplement to the course syllabus. Current information on assessment criteria shall be made available at the start of the course.
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to 60 credits in landscape architecture, of which 9 credits construction of outdoor environment.
ObjectivesThe course aims to provide the student with in-depth skills in construction and management of outdoor environments and to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the entire process from an existing design proposal to a completed urban space and its future management and maintenance from a sustainability perspective.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
- describe the role of detailed design and construction for different actors in a landscape construction project
- explain different solutions for local management of storm water with regard to given conditions
- describe method for basic construction works
Competence and skills
- Independently using digital tools, carry out a detailed design project, producing plans for construction and planting as well as a technical description based on the Swedish AMA-standard.
- from a perspective of sustainability and considering landscape conditions, apply technical solutions in constructing planting beds and bearing layers in complex environments.
- choose suitable plant qualities according to site conditions.
- apply quality guidelines to delivery control of plant materials.
- set up management plan including planning of resources and calculating costs.
Judgement and approach
- reflect on how changes in and management of a site affects the site’s original design concept and sustainability aspects.
ContentThe course consists of a larger project that is complemented by smaller exercises, lectures and field trips. The project is based on previous knowledge and skills in construction and management of urban spaces as well as landscape construction with digital tools.
On the basis of a given design of a complex outdoor environment, the student should produce a detailed design plan including spot heights and specifications for hard and soft landscaping. The student should also produce a maintenance plan based on the design of the site. In exercises, the student applies and deepens his / her knowledge in dimensioning bearing layers and plant beds, with regard to elevation for accessibility and dewatering, plant material and locations. The ability to plan and prioritize is trained by compiling planning of resources on the basis of the management plan and a given limited staff group.
The course deals with various solutions for local management of storm water. The course also deals with plant qualities and in a compulsory practical part the ability to perform quality control of plant deliveries is trained.
Through contact with professionals in the construction industry, the student is given the opportunity to study the connection between detailed design and construction. Compulsory, practical building exercises are also included in the course.
Based on previously acquired knowledge in urban ecology and economics, the student is asked to reflect on how different choices in the different stages of the project affect the sustainability aspects. The student presents his/her conclusions in writing, and orally at the compulsory seminar.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved participation in compulsory parts and seminars is required. Submissions and exercises completed according to instructions.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- At least 9 credits basic knowledge in construction corresponding to the course LK0390 Landscape construction.
- At least 10 credits in management/maintenance corresponding to the course LK0360 Sustainable maintenance of green areas and natural land, and plant knowledge.
- Knowledge in calculation of time and costs, corresponding to the course LK0391 Project management for landscape engineers 1.
Department of Urban and Rural Development
Determined by: Programnämnden för utbildning inom landskap och trädgård (PN - LT)
There are no Grading criteria posted for this course
- Kurslitteratur 2022 [Kurslitteratur 2022] (https://slunik.slu.se/kursfiler/LK0409/40159.2122/Litteraturlista_LK0409_till_SLUNIK.pdf)
Tuition fee: Tuition fee only for non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens: 0 SEK Cycle: Bachelor’s level
Subject: Landscape ArchitectureCourse code: LK0409 Application code: SLU-40159 Location: Uppsala Distance course: No Language: Swedish Responsible department: Department of Urban and Rural Development Pace: 100%