Researcher (Associate Professor) at the Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. Focus on evolutionary genetics, fauna restoration and rewilding.
On grad- and undergrad level at SLU and Uppsala University since 1995.
Mainly four ongoing projects:
"Bringing Bison (Bison bonasus) Back to Sweden" Funding: Skogssällskapet (project leader) More information
“Is the Native Subspecies the Heath Hare (Lepus timidus sylvaticus) Going Extinct?” Funding: SLU, Naturvårdsverket (project leader) More information
"Feralization of horses and their microbiota" Funding: SLU (collaboration with UU and LiU) More information
“Gotland Russ Grazing - A mean to support biodiversity and preserve an endangered regional breed” Funding: WWF & SLU More information
Participated on more than 100 national and international conferences, organised 55 public meetings/conferences, invited speaker 13 times, 10 oral presentations, 16 posters, 40 public presentations. Authored 27 popular science articles, 21 reports, 30 strategic proposals, nine evaluations. Participated in the public debate through 28 debate articles and several media-appearences (press, radio, TV).
MSc Biology, Uppsala University 1995
PhD Genetics, Uppsala University 1995
Posdoc, University of Tennessee 2001-2002, 2004
Doctor of Science, Uppsala University 2008
Employed by SLU since 2008.
Main supervisor for three graduated PhD students:
- Adriaan de Jong, 2012, SLU
- Pär Söderquist, 2015, SLU/Kristianstad University College
- Pablo Garrido, 2017, SLU
Assistant PhD supervisor for Jonas Malmsten, graduated 2014, SLU
Supervisor for MSc and BSc projects.
Publications in international, referee-assessed scientific journals
36. Gunnarsson S, Thulin C-G (2023). Extensive husbandry and animal welfare are important for acceptance of rabbit meat production among Swedish youth. World Rabbit Science (in press)
35. Michell CT, Pohjoismäki JLO, Spong G, Thulin C-G (2022). Mountain- and brown hare genetic polymorphisms to survey local adaptations and conservation status of the heath hare (Lepus timidus sylvaticus, Nilsson 1831). Scientific Data 9, 667 (online)
34. Garrido P, Naumov V, Söderquist L, Jansson A, Thulin C-G (2022). Effects of experimental rewilding on butterflies, bumblebees and grasshoppers. Journal of Insect Conservation 26, 763–771
33. Thulin C-G, Sörhammar M, Bohlin J (2022). Black Stork Back: Species distribution model predictions of potential habitats for black stork (Ciconia nigra) in Sweden. Ornis Svecica 32, 14–25
32. Thulin C-G, Winiger A, Tallian AG, Kindberg J (2021). Hunting harvest data in Sweden indicate precipitous decline in the native mountain hare subspecies Lepus timidus sylvaticus (heath hare). Journal for Nature Conservation 64, 126069
31. Thulin C-G, Röcklinsberg H (2020). Ethical considerations for wildlife reintroductions and rewilding. Frontiers in Veterinary Science 7, 163
30. Garrido P, Edenius L, Mikusiński G, Skarin A, Jansson A, Thulin C-G (2020). Experimental rewilding may restore abandoned wood-pastures if policy allows. Ambio 50 (1), 101-112
29. Garrido P, Mårell A, Öckinger E, Skarin A, Jansson A, Thulin C-G (2019). Experimental rewilding enhances grassland functional composition and pollinator habitat use. Journal of Applied Ecology 56 (4), 946-955
26. Thulin C-G, Alves PC, Djan M, Fontanesi L, Peacock D (2017). Wild opportunities with dedomestication genetics of rabbits. Restoration Ecology 25, 330–332
24. Fontanesi L, Di Palma F, Flicek P, Smith AT, Thulin C-G, Alves PC, Lagomorph Genomics Consortium (2016). LaGomiCs - Lagomorph Genomics Consortium: an international collaborative effort for sequencing the genomes of an entire mammalian order. Journal of Heredity 107, 295-308
23. Thulin C-G, Malmsten J, Ericsson G (2015). Opportunities and challenges with growing wildlife populations and zoonotic diseases in Sweden. European Journal of Wildlife Research 61, 649–656
20. Malmsten J, Gavier Widén D, Rydevik G, Yon L, Hutchings MR, Thulin C-G, Söderquist L, Aspan A, Stuen S, Dalin A-M (2014). Temporal and spatial variation in Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in Swedish moose (Alces alces). Epidemiology and Infection 142 (6), 1205-1213
19. De Jong A, Magnhagen C, Thulin C-G (2013). Variable flight initiation distance in incubating Eurasian curlew. Bevioral Ecology and Sociobiology 67, 1089-1096
18. Höglund J, Cortazar Chinarro M, Jarnemo A, Thulin C-G (2013). Genetic variation and structure in Scandinavian red deer (Cervus elaphus): influence of ancestry, past hunting and restoration management. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 109, 43–53
17. Thulin C-G, Malmsten J, Laurila A (2012). Differences in body mass, health status and genetic variation between insular and mainland brown hares (Lepus europaeus) in Sweden. European Journal of Wildlife Research 58, 897–907
16. Thulin C-G, Englund L, Ericsson G, Spong G (2011) The impact of founder events and introductions on genetic variation in the muskox Ovibos moschatus in Sweden. Acta Theriologica 56, 305-314
15. Quintela M, Thulin C-G, Höglund J (2010). Detecting hybridization between willow grouse (Lagopus lagopus) and rock ptarmigan (L. muta) in Central Sweden through Bayesian admixture analyses. Conservation Genetics 11, 557–569
14. Jansson G, Thulin C-G, Pehrson Å (2007). Factors related to the occurrence of hybrids between brown hares (Lepus europaeus) and mountain hares (L. timidus) in Sweden. Ecography 30, 709-715
13. Thulin C-G, Fang M, Averianov AO (2006). Introgression from Lepus europaeus to L. timidus in Russia revealed by mitochondrial Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms and nuclear microsatellites. Hereditas 143, 68-76
12. Thulin C-G (2006). Microsatellite investigation of roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) in Scandinavia reveals genetic differentiation of a Baltic Sea Island population. European Journal of Wildlife Research 52, 228-235
11. Thulin C-G, Simberloff D, Barun A, McCracken G, Pascal M, Islam A (2006). Genetic divergence in the small Indian mongoose (Herpestes auropunctatus), a widely distributed invasive species. Molecular Ecology 15, 3947-3956
10. Thulin C-G, Stone J, Tegelström H, Walker CW (2006). Species assignment and hybrid identification among Scandinavian hares. Wildlife Biology 12, 29-38
9. Thulin C-G (2003). The distribution of Mountain Hares (Lepus timidus, L. 1758) in Europe: A challenge from Brown Hares (L. europaeus, Pall. 1778)? Mammal Review 33, 29-42
6. Thulin C-G, Tegelström H (2002). Biased geographical distribution of mitochondrial DNA that passed the species barrier from mountain hares to brown hares (genus Lepus): An effect of genetic incompatibility and mating behaviour? Journal of Zoology 258, 299-306
2. Thulin C-G, Isaksson M, Tegelström H (1997b). The origin of Scandinavian mountain hares (Lepus timidus). Gibier Faune Savage/Game and Wildlife 14, 463-475
1. Thulin C-G, Jaarola M, Tegelström H (1997a). The occurrence of mountain hare mitochondrial DNA in wild brown hares. Molecular Ecology 6, 463-467
From 1995, a total of seven book chapters, 40 popular science articles, 28 reports, 36 debate articles, 34 strategic proposals and 20 evaluations.